Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 10w Led Engine RGBA colors changing saber with Petit Crouton

Question 10w Led Engine RGBA colors changing saber with Petit Crouton

How bright could I get the blade with adjustable resisters on each of the four diodes? I searched the forums and I did not find anyone that had done this with the Petit Crouton. If there is one forgive me. First off is this even possible? What kind of batteries should I use to do this? I got just under 8 inches with a 1 inch ID in the saber I designed using MHS parts and copper tubing. If I use two 3.6V 880mAh 16340 Lithium Ion I can fit the board and recharge port in the saber, but would that be enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Luar Selbor View Post
    How bright could I get the blade with adjustable resisters on each of the four diodes? I searched the forums and I did not find anyone that had done this with the Petit Crouton. If there is one forgive me. First off is this even possible? What kind of batteries should I use to do this? I got just under 8 inches with a 1 inch ID in the saber I designed using MHS parts and copper tubing. If I use two 3.6V 880mAh 16340 Lithium Ion I can fit the board and recharge port in the saber, but would that be enough?
    Have you looked at this thread?
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...ghlight=change

It may help you as far as setup. There's a wiring diagram on page 2. Just substitute the PC board for the MR or hasbro board in the diagram.

As far as your power requirements, it says in the store that you need at least 4.5V, so your two Li-Ion batteries should be fine if you're going to make your own power pack. I'm not sure if anyone has tried it with a single Li-Ion 18650, but if the PC can work with that, that might be a better battery solution. BTW, you might not be able to fit the 16340 side by side in the hilt (I think) - might have to go end to end. If you want to do side by side you can use two 14500 batteries and put the PC board on top of the batteries to save space.

-C
    LOCKHEED

Wow how did I over look that? Thanks for the link. Another concern I have is the brightness. Would it compare to the other single diode LED's?

Each individual colour SHOULD be comparable to a 3w version of that colour LED.

Quote Originally Posted by Luar Selbor View Post
    First, you don't use resistors with the PC. If you will run 2 dies for a mixed color you will need a 7.4v pack and wire the dice in series. For a 1 in I.D. I would recommend 2 14650s. Normally people run 2 dies for a mixed color at 1500ma for a fairly bright blade.

I thought I read somewhere (on the forums here) where they suggested against a color changing saber while its lit with a PC. Does anyone recall that? I would hate to... ah...ahem "toast" a PC
    Yub Yub Commander.

Yes, you dont change the color while the PC is lighting the LED. You insert the kill key, then change the color, then pull the kill key for the new voltage sensor.

As well, the PC can use resistors in parallel with the RGBA. I do it to get a VERY deep purple. It literally looks the purple of grape juice. (No resistor on blue, 3.3 Ohms on Red).

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixReborn View Post
    Yes, you dont change the color while the PC is lighting the LED. You insert the kill key, then change the color, then pull the kill key for the new voltage sensor.

As well, the PC can use resistors in parallel with the RGBA. I do it to get a VERY deep purple. It literally looks the purple of grape juice. (No resistor on blue, 3.3 Ohms on Red).
    That can be done but know that the blade will be less than half as bright as the other way (in series).

Quote Originally Posted by Sunrider View Post
    ...If you will run 2 dies for a mixed color you will need a 7.4v pack and wire the dice in series...
    Well I wanted to make use of all the colors that way I could change the blade to what ever I want when I want but if I have to sacrifise brightness then I would rather go the other rout and just change out the LED. If I can make it were I can change each Diode then I could, in theory, make any color I want.

By happy coincidence, I just finished a RGBA LedEngin saber this weekend. I've been keeping a build log going over on the FX Sabers forums, but I will gladly cross-post here.

Brief overview: 2x 18650 2600 mAh lithium ion pack, powering a PC-L soundboard, driving 1.5A to a 10w RGBA wired with R+A in series, and B+G in series. I have an internal sliding switch to determine which color to use. Here's a little video. I didn't shoot it with a blade attached, just a nice blade plug.