Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: official starwars standard blade length?

Default official starwars standard blade length?

Hi, I'm trying to make a lightsaber that is faithful to the movies. In that regard, I want the blade length from emitter to tip to be "standard length". Is there even such thing? I know yoda's blade is smaller and maces blade longer, but what about the average? I've heard that the prequel blades are longer than the original trilogy. I'm looking at settling on 32 inches, what do you guys think?

Council Member
    Sith Lord

i don't know. you should do some digging on google for the specs for the original filming props, then you could find out the blade lenght. all of the MRs are about the same length

At last we will reveal ourselves to the jedi, at last we will have revenge.

i think 40" looks more like the movies or maybe 38"

I DONT KNOW WHAT WE'RE YELLING ABOUT!!....LOUD NOISES!!!
    www.starwarscustoms.bravehost.com

most everyone goes with 36 for lux's with 2 inches more for the blade holder. so 38 total. my great saber has a 48 inch blade. its big.

<center></center>

Lan-Ed-Tul
    The Brotherhood Of The Sith

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side...

Council Member
    Sith Lord

you must be tall to weild that saber, my young apprentice. that thing must be HUGE lan[:0]

At last we will reveal ourselves to the jedi, at last we will have revenge.

For deuling and saber spins, I always settled for a length equal to this:

Standing upright with your dominant hand at your side, have someone measure the distance from your finger tip to the top of your ear. Take that measurement and subtract the length of your hilt. You now have the length of your blade.

It works for me, and that's all I'm sayin'

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Jonitus

Standing upright with your dominant hand at your side, have someone measure the distance from your finger tip to the top of your ear. Take that measurement and subtract the length of your hilt. You now have the length of your blade.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

That is an awesome way to do it Jonitus. I am similar in that I make my blades so that when mounted in the hilt they are as tall as the persons chest.

<center></center>

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Jonitus

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Whoa... I checked and that works with my blades.

It needs to be long enough, yet not too long that you can't spin it without hitting the ceiling or floor.

Alphamale, if you want movie accurate 32" will be far from it. Movie accurate is about 40" (one meter). I think it's much better to make the blade work for you, Example 36" works well for me.

<center>Read the FAQ or x-wing won't be happy.
    Before posting did you check the Thread Index?.

</center>

Thanx guys,

Jonitus: I did what you said and the blade was only 30 inches. I tried measuring the blade in the KOTOR videogames and they seemed about 32 or so assuming an 11 inch hilt.

xwingband: 40 inches, that long huh? Yeah, I've seen pictures and I tried to measure the best I can of Mace and it looks like your about right, but 36 inches seems more like Obi wan and anakin.

Overall, I don't know if there is really isn't any "official star wars canon Nick Gillard and George lucas approved standard blade length", and that it is a personal preference of the individual jedi.

I'll make two sabers, one will be a movie length saber (40') and the other will be a practical dueling saber that i'll actually use which will be much shorter (30') since I don't want to ruin my ceiling LOL.

Or I can always just have 2 blades of different lengths handy.