Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: official starwars standard blade length?

I prefer the 40 inch blade for myself but I am taller than average so it works well for me.

<center></center>
    <center><font color="red"><font size="4"><font face="Comic Sans MS">Darth Technous Sith Lord</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="size4"></font id="red"></center>
    <center><font color="red"><font size="4"><font face="Comic Sans MS">Give yourself to the Dark Side</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="size4"></font id="red"></center>

I'm 6'4" tall, and I like 34" total length blades.
    I might do one that is 36", but no more.

MC

You want to go home and re-think your life

if you're not looking for official, you should size the blade to fit you, each person is different, it's the same as ordering a katana.

stand straight, hold the hilt in your hand the way you would hold it in battle. relax, let your hand fall to your side. the sword should be just above the ground.

i'm 5'11, my katana has an 11" hilt and a 27.5" blade. it fits me fine, but is too long for my son (5'6") and too short for my friend (6'6"). It fits me.

I am in the process of converted two anakins over, with with a 27.5" blade (from the emitter) and another one with a 13" blade. if I can only shorten the anakin hilt...

then again, lightsabers weren't meant for kendo/kenjitsu

If your looking for "movie accurate" then I would suggest first finding some good quality screen captures. Measure the hilt in pixels then the blade in pixels, find out how long the hilt is in real life, and use a ratio to convert pixels to inches.
    That said, the movies are terribly inconsistant. look at the length of Mace's blade when he ignites his saber to fight the Emperor, then look at how long it is when Anakin walks in. I could be wrong but that looks like a lot of difference to me.
    And I agree with Chowser, the blade length should be proportional to the user. I think the Jedi probably would make blade length a matter of personal taste. Look at Yoda, could you imagine him swinging a three-foot blade around?

Speak softly and carry a big lightsaber.
    Old Jedi never die; they just fade away.

jonitus any new updates for the replica graflex?

I DONT KNOW WHAT WE'RE YELLING ABOUT!!....LOUD NOISES!!!
    www.starwarscustoms.bravehost.com

the katana thing is cool idea. i have a real one, and when holding it with my hand against the tsuba, its a half inch off the floor.

but its a lil over 29 inch blade, i think, cant remember for sure.

but i use the most accepted length of 36 for the saber blades.

with the exception of the great saber. its 48 long remember, my hilt with claw emitter on is almost 6 d cells long too. this saber is designed to be along the lines of the great saber in lucas's star wars lore, never seen, but existed. see, in lore, the hilt was around that long, but i cant get a blade no 10 foot long, as the descriptions say it was. i couldnt lift the darn thing. lol

but as far as it being a lightsaber, the blade would of been weightless, just the hilt weight. physics, go figure! lol

yeah, a guy couldnt go slingin this puppy around real easy, it'll be more like the knights slingin around the great sabers they had, a 2 handed sword.

<center></center>

Lan-Ed-Tul
    The Brotherhood Of The Sith

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side...

<u>THIS CAME FROM WIKIPEDIA!!!!!!!</u>

The standard blade for a human or human-sized wielder appears to be one meter (3 ft) long or slightly longer, with a diameter of approximately 20-25 millimeters (3/4 in). However, these numbers may vary depending on the wielder's own size and preferences.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

one meter = 3.3 feet = 40" []

You were probably thinking 3 feet = 1 yard

It's also interesting to note that with the ID of PolyC that LED blades are around 3/4"[] I'd never do a 40" LED blade with a TCSS diffuser. Maybe Corbin's but the center would be so prone to being dim.

<center>Read the FAQ or x-wing won't be happy.
    Before posting did you check the Thread Index?.

</center>

Keep in mind that the blades they were using weren't poly-c. They were carbon fiber blades that were 1/2 OD. The blades were 40" because they were so light. 1" Poly-c isn't going to weight less than half a pound.

"There is no try, only dew" (do)

-Jedi Master Yoda
    Essence of the Force

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Actually they were 40" to mark the rotoscoping, but even that went all to hell because anything that could stand the hits had to be bendable. They used carbon fiber because it was light and strong. They could have made them larger in diameter but there was a huge problem with getting them to move faster for the moves.

<center>Read the FAQ or x-wing won't be happy.
    Before posting did you check the Thread Index?.

</center>