Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: PLI (power level indicator)

Default PLI (power level indicator)

ok.....so i want to include one in my hardware. it connects between the battery and what?

it depends on what you want. could be you hook it up to the batter and it is on all the time. Could be you hook up a kill key and it goes on when the kill key is pulled. Could be you use a dpdt switch and hook it up between bat and switch so that it goes on when you turn the blade on. Lots of options.

ok then....i want it to be active when the kill key is removed. if thts the case, then itd just be direct wired between the batteries and teh kill socket? or if i wanted it between the batteries and the switch do the same?

I would think you could wire it directly between the kill key and the battery. I have not personally tried it, but that seems the most logical to me.
    Yub Yub Commander.

yeah, you could. but really...you could put it on either side of the key i think since the its only a flow plug.

Quote Originally Posted by kage_no_mozaiku View Post
    yeah, you could. but really...you could put it on either side of the key i think since the its only a flow plug.
    If you put in on the side for the soundboard, then it will turn on when you pull the kill key. If you put it on the same side as the batteries attach to the port, then it will always be on.
    Formerly known as Polarcupz

"I think, therefore I am. I destroy, therefore I endure."

lol...yeah your right, i cant believe i didnt think of tht. i mean sht.....one side always gets power and the other is dependent on whether or not the key is in place. thnx for bringing tht to my attention. really....it should be down stream of the key since the LEDs, even though they dont need much to run, still draw current off the power cells which would shorten how long they stay charged.

I'm sorry to hijack the thread but I'd like some help if anyone is willing.
    I am going to be running a white Luxeon Rebel Star LED and an economy Obi-Wan board with a single 3.6v li-ion 16340. I am in the process of designing a chassis system with an illuminated crystal containing 2 led's and also a power level indicator that are both activated by a single latching switch. I don't plan to have the blade and soundboard running along with the accent led's and PLI.
    Is this even possible? I've read it's impossible to use the PLI and the 3.6v because it's inaccurate, but I've also read that it can be fixed with a 75 or 82K ohm resistor. Can anyone vouch for this?

I'd like to have the PLI between the accent LED's and the switch. The switch would then run on to the battery. Do you think this would make it so I can turn the accent LED's and PLI on together?

I've searched around here and the FX boards and there really aren't that many threads on the PLI that are useful. Most of them either go unresolved or concern how to mount and/or display it. I've even read about people programming and adjusting it and I have no idea what they mean.
    I'd appreciate any help anyone can offer.
    Last edited by Big_Furry_Oaf; 04-23-2011 at 12:11 AM.

I would be able to help you if I had one of those boards on hand, I have used that chip and the way to tell it what voltage to max out on is stupidly complicated and involves balancing 2 different resistors, one that tells the LEDs what current to use and the other added to that sets the voltage. Without knowing the first one I can't calculate the other, but I think I have a formula for it somewhere...

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Furry_Oaf View Post
    I'm sorry to hijack the thread but I'd like some help if anyone is willing.
    I am going to be running a white Luxeon Rebel Star LED and an economy Obi-Wan board with a single 3.6v li-ion 16340. I am in the process of designing a chassis system with an illuminated crystal containing 2 led's and also a power level indicator that are both activated by a single latching switch. I don't plan to have the blade and soundboard running along with the accent led's and PLI.
    Is this even possible? I've read it's impossible to use the PLI and the 3.6v because it's inaccurate, but I've also read that it can be fixed with a 75 or 82K ohm resistor. Can anyone vouch for this?

I'd like to have the PLI between the accent LED's and the switch. The switch would then run on to the battery. Do you think this would make it so I can turn the accent LED's and PLI on together?

I've searched around here and the FX boards and there really aren't that many threads on the PLI that are useful. Most of them either go unresolved or concern how to mount and/or display it. I've even read about people programming and adjusting it and I have no idea what they mean.
    I'd appreciate any help anyone can offer.
    You wont need a PLI with that setup because that single battery does not supply enough power to drive even a single white rebel in the first place. I would study battery solutions and start the design over.