Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New saber design feedback

Default New saber design feedback

Hey everyone,

I wanted to post the design for the second saber, with custom sheath, I'm planning to build for some feedback. This one has a name too

Need to decide if that black is going to be matt, glossy or the black chrome from my first saber...

Let me know what you think, many thanks!

MHS-Saber2.0-13.jpg MHS-Saber2.0-13-bladed.jpg

Very nice saber, solid design, Ilike the sheath a lot, although it’s a little sithy.
    Can’t wait to see it in action.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Looks alright style wise but I'm unsure of some of the items since I can't read the font. I would say to go with black chrome which will accent the ribbed section nicely. Otherwise I would suggest flat black with the top surface of the ribs bare. Does the thumb screw on the choke have a function or just decoration? If you intend it for a blade retention screw it should be located on the blade holder exactly where the other screw is unless you have some serious tricks up your sleeve.

I like the design - I'd use flat black for the body and polish the shroud. The flat black lets the body be the background element your rendering proposes, and lets the shroud with it's accent led stand out as foreground. Is the screw in the choke is just a greeblie?

Cool design, reminds me of lightning for some reason. I would say go with black chrome and mediablast the sheath, if you plan to make the sheath out of aluminum that is. It would give it a very unique and sinister look, but if you dont want to do that then I would go with matte black, and have the sheath polished. Its good to have a mix of luster, and matte finishes IMO because you get better contrast which I think adds realism.
    Aurum Solis on the FXsabers forum

"There is no such thing as luck..."

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think the word you are looking for is "overlay" or "shroud".

I am digging this design, it almost has an electrical feel to it. It will make for a very slick saber if you pull it off.
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

You need to realize that this design leaves little room for internal components and tricky assembly.

nice design ...will be very sleek when it is done

That is a very cool design. In my opinion, I think you need some sort of opening on the bottom part of your overlay. Kind of like the openings on the bottom of Qui Gon's saber. The bottom looks a little plain to me, other ethan that, great design. As fo color, I'd say black chrome.

I like this design a lot. it is very asymmetric, which is kind of unusual for a saber. The one thing I see that I would change is that I would make the AV switch recessed into the overlay (it's possible that's what you're doing already, but I can't quite tell from the diagram).

As for color, I have to agree with most people here: you can't go wrong with flat black. However, if you wanted to tilt a little more toward the lightside, you could always use gold or copper in place of the black (leaving a few black details) and polish the shroud. If you really wanted to go crazy, I could also picture this saber with a gloss Ferrari red body, high-polished shroud & black detailing. I think it would look really striking, but it would definitely be unconventional.