Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: "Gale"

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Cool "Gale"

"Gale"

This saber was commissioned through my website by a very nice British fellow named Ben. He really liked the Bin One, so I set out to design a spiritual successor to her. As it turns out, I apparently had an aneurysm and forgot what my own saber looks like so I designed a saber that hearkens more to Ataramith...oops. At least all's well that ends well because he loved the design and "Gale" was born. She is MHS-based with a fully display-able crystal chamber and chassis. I machined the chassis connector/speaker holder (the part that attaches the chassis to the choke) out of delrin. The chassis makes liberal use of copper mylar accents and the battery is hidden under mylar and a custom delrin board sled. The color scheme of the saber itself is "copper and silver" and was adopted because we really wanted to use this really cool faux alligator inlay for the grip...and it is brown. In my sketch, the emitter and pommel are "bell" shaped with pretty dramatic flaring, so I had some machining to do (especially that Emitter). He wanted a Yellow blade and accents. He didn't ask for a Crystal Pommel or the DJMB Reverse sound system (tm) but he got them anyways. Other than the switch, ALL of the mechanicals are contained in the chassis which is secured to the choke section via a "hidden" set screw. I polished all of the aluminum and coated the whole thing in 2 coats of gloss clear enamel (baked). The copper came out great and has some very realistic oxidation. It was applied in 4 coats and double baked.

Particulars:

Custom machined "Gale" hilt
    Triple baked Enamel
    Ultrasound 2.5
    RGB main LED tuned to Yellow
    Quartz Crystal Point illuminated by MakotoV2 Yellow LED
    Full Custom Chassis with copper accents
    3.7V Li-ion w/Hidden 2.1mm recharge in chassis
    Crystal Pommel LED mounted in Chassis
    Green Ring AV in choke
    Faux Alligator Grip (Inlaid)
    Custom machined pommel insert
    Reverse Sound

The BMT:

The Sketch and the Saber:

The Glams:

The Build:

All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Beautiful LDM
    Sith Happens

Jedi Padawan
    Jedi Padawan

That is one sweet saber, sir! Nicely bracketed by the emitter and pommel with the bronze tying the whole together and bringing the fauxlligator grip section in. My hood is thrown back to you.

Knowledge must be balanced by Practice.
    Practice must be balanced by Experience.
    Through Knowledge, Practice, and Experience
    we gain Wisdom.

-Boj-Vaati Mau
    Jedi Sentinel, Jar'Kai practitioner,
    and Instctor at Strafe Plains Temple

Saber Guild: Strafe Plains Temple
    The Rebel Legion

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Thanks fellas. Symmetry was indeed a huge theme for this saber. I wasn't sold on the color scheme initially, but once I had it all finished I am glad I went with it. It looks "real" and I totally wish I could keep it
    All n00bs READ these first (PLEASE)!!!:1. LDM's Basic Saber-build Step-by-Step Tutorial 1A. Maul's Saber Dictionary 1B. THREAD INDEX 1C. Econo Sound Diagrams
    TCSS the #1 Part supplier of LDM customsabers!

Love it, Fantastic work
    Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

I, for one, am very glad you are not saving these sabers for the competition

...but also scared you are saving a better one...

AWESOME work

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

Quote Originally Posted by Skottsaber View Post
    AWESOME work
    Indeed. </Teal'c>

Quote Originally Posted by Skottsaber View Post
    I, for one, am very glad you are not saving these sabers for the competition

...but also scared you are saving a better one...
    Skott, this is why I didn't bother sitting on my new version of Perseverance - I wouldn't have the foggiest idea where to start doing a chassis like this. And crystal chambers? Fuhgeddaboudit. So no way in hell would I stand a chance in a competition with him, or pretty much any of our more... prolific saber builders. (Plus, since it was less a new saber than an upgrade to an old saber, my understanding is that Perseverance would have been disqualified from entry anyway.)

Stellar work, as always LDM. Loving the copper hilt and yellow blade combo.

Very nice, 3.7volts... how long does a charge last you? I didn't see the recharge port, is it in the bottom? Sorry just curious since I am in the process of a rechargable saber right now.

Looks really good LDM. I love the color of the blade and the chasis...

Your a top sabersmith and you continue to impress with new designs - I wanna be like you when I grow up =)
    Yub Yub Commander.