Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Captain's first MHS Saber...

Angry

Ok, back with some updates...

1) I fried my Obiwan Econo board by doing some lousy soldering. Some of the green and the leads peeled and broke off making it useless... Then on top of it, I tried for an hour unsuccessfully to attach wires to my P4 LED... Not a good weekend... Thanks to those in the chat area who offered suggestions about tinning and such. Will give a second try next weekend after I get to drive two hours to the nearest WalMart...

2) The only difference between last posts and this one is an aesthetic change to the shroud. I didn't like the copper look to the edges, so I added some grilles and painted the thing black! Opinions, comments, crits, as usual, are welcome...

3) The entire length of the saber, with the blade is at 117cm, which I may cut shorter by reducing the length of the blade... I put scratches in my ceiling the first two times I tried to do some flipty-do's with it... lol

DSC310 001.jpg DSC310 002.jpg DSC310 005.jpg DSC310 003.jpg DSC310 004.jpg
    Last edited by captain_mills; 05-01-2011 at 06:30 PM. Reason: avoiding double posts... afterthoughts

Remember, your LED will ALWAYS look brighter in pics and vids... If you're not playing with it at night, it's not gonna impress you...

Jedi Padawan
    Jedi Padawan

Good recovery, Cap'n! I like the black Emitter Shroud, it ties in with the rest of the saber, helping to balance it out. At 5' 9" a good over all length is 49.25". The way I was taught is that the blade should just clear the ground, say an 1/8" or so. Good luck on your next round of soldering, you should do MUCH better this time.

Knowledge must be balanced by Practice.
    Practice must be balanced by Experience.
    Through Knowledge, Practice, and Experience
    we gain Wisdom.

-Boj-Vaati Mau
    Jedi Sentinel, Jar'Kai practitioner,
    and Instctor at Strafe Plains Temple

Saber Guild: Strafe Plains Temple
    The Rebel Legion

Yes its looking sweet!! painting that made it really match the pommel end.. plus the cut outs match good with the gaps between O-rings section.. NOW that emitter shroud brings the saber together perfectly.. over all the problems I still cant help to say this saber has improved v3 (with a pc?) coming... I feel it, can you feel it??
    Quote Originally Posted by Gin Malinko View Post
    just an added note on this.
    I vote dgdve as the site's motivational speaker. haha
    "Yes Lord Vader, and I too have a gift... for you.."

"There is no good or evil, no black or white.. There is only.. Perspective"

Turning out to be a great looking saber!

Shround looks great in black!
    Yub Yub Commander.

Thanks all for your compliments! They actually help me to appreciate and like it more...

lol @ dgdve... I don't see a pc in the immediate future...

Remember, your LED will ALWAYS look brighter in pics and vids... If you're not playing with it at night, it's not gonna impress you...

HOLY COW!!! I JUST FINISHED!!! My wife is so funny. When I put the batteries in and flipped on the switch, It activated and my eyes just about popped out of my head. She said I looked like a kid on his first trip to the candy store, lol...

Anyway, I'm pretty thrilled to finish my first saber. I sacrificed the crystal chamber. Incorporating it and the electronics was too much for me this time. Hopefully my second saber will be much more "complete".

Anyway, this one's all MHS with a custom shroud cut by me. The painting was done by me also. Inside it's got:
    4AAA 1.2V each
    TCSS Speaker with Mount
    22GA wiring throughout
    Obi-Wan Hasbro Econo Sound Board
    +Added the TCSS Clash Sensor
    +Added the TCSS Swing Sensor
    Incorporated a TIP42 Transistor
    Seoul P4 White
    TCSS Filters - Chose green as the preference
    36" Clear PolyCarb Blade
    White Diffuser

Did I forget anything?

The saber was wired exactly following the wiring in the "2010 Electronic Lightsaber w/DVD Tutorial" thread. I hated bookmarking the 5000 pages, so I saved the images that fit my needs to my hard drive and used those as references. Thanks to those who provided!

The saber has a real sensitive swing and makes the swing noise more often than I'd like. However, the clash is not as sensitive as I want it. Half the time I have to strike the tip and the other half the pommel. Other times no matter how hard I strike it, it doesn't make the clash sound. Oh well. It's probably my wiring rather than the quality of the clash sensor. I would love to include a video, but my wife's $1200 camera does every thing BUT video. Will see what I can do later...

First few pics are without the filter. Straight up White P4... The last three are with the medium green filter in it. Not as bright as I was hoping, but it could be that I need to recharge the batteries, or the Econo board includes too much resistance...

Picture 061.jpg Picture 058.jpg Picture 060.jpg Picture 056.jpg Picture 064.jpg

Looks good.

Ok so I love the rubber washer grip my first MHS has it. How is the color discs? It reminds me of my first MHS saber I think it looks amazing keep it up.
    "The force is everywhere, it binds us togeather"

Thanks Xan!

I'm not as impressed with the blade brightness as I thought I would be. I'm currently giving my rechargeables a real good recharge. We'll see after that. Otherwise, the color disks are great, but some work better than others. The yellow looks light green, and the light green one (what I have in right now) is a bit more turquoise. The purple and the blue looked the most convincing. There's a P4 White underneath them so I expected more. I may get it when the batteries are fully charged... Will post updates.

Still hoping to post a video too. Mostly for all to hear what the swing, clash, and hum sound like with the TCSS updated sensors. I'm sure everyone else has heard them, but out of courtesy, I'd like to at least share mine...

Thanks again!