Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Captain's first MHS Saber...

Update 08/04/2011:

Ok, after a good lecturing about LED's and overdriving too much, I went and purchased the 1.5Ohm 5Watt resistor that TCSS sells here. I received the resistor about an hour ago and have it installed already. No change in brightness... It may even be less bright. Needless to say, I'm still disappointed in the performance of this P4 white. I thought that after all I'd read on the subject here (and elsewhere) that these P4's were supposed to be one of the best and brightest. I've gone over the wiring a hundred times and everything works, just not as bright as everyone else's images or sabers.

First is curtains closed, second open... the other two are self explanatory... resistor is wrapped in electrical tape...

DSC 005.jpgDSC 003.jpgDSC 002.jpgDSC 001.jpg

Remember, your LED will ALWAYS look brighter in pics and vids... If you're not playing with it at night, it's not gonna impress you...

Quote Originally Posted by captain_mills View Post
    Thanks Xan!

I'm not as impressed with the blade brightness as I thought I would be. I'm currently giving my rechargeables a real good recharge. We'll see after that. Otherwise, the color disks are great, but some work better than others. The yellow looks light green, and the light green one (what I have in right now) is a bit more turquoise. The purple and the blue looked the most convincing. There's a P4 White underneath them so I expected more. I may get it when the batteries are fully charged... Will post updates.

Still hoping to post a video too. Mostly for all to hear what the swing, clash, and hum sound like with the TCSS updated sensors. I'm sure everyone else has heard them, but out of courtesy, I'd like to at least share mine...

Thanks again!
    The white LEDS suck. I found that out on my 2nd saber. I took it apart and made a flshlight out of it. You live and then you get mad you got a white LED. lol After chargeing it won't get better. But your saber is a GREAT 1st saber!! Awesime job bro!

Thanks, Ripper, but I was still under the impression that the white's were amazing... I looked at one thread where someone had used a white P4 and the color discs (which is what I had originally intended) and they were just as bright as others with the discs and totally brilliant without... I just know I'm so bummed...

Remember, your LED will ALWAYS look brighter in pics and vids... If you're not playing with it at night, it's not gonna impress you...

Blog Entries

to me if you go with the color disks you have to go with the P4 (it is what i used in my first saber). and the colors are not what you would expect...with that said i love the way it turned out!!!
    "Do or do not....there is no try" - Yoda

Are you taking day time pics? I think you're expectations are high. Most lit saber pics seem to be at night in dim indoor lighting at best. Only a few of the TCSS colour discs are ok. Otherwise you may want to track down Lee filters. I've tried a number of LEDs (p4s, Lux3s, deep red Ledengin) and the p4 white on it's own is brighter then all others. When you add discs they'll dim the light while adding colour. With the better discs I find them comparable to Lux3s. This is why anyone out for uber bright colour will use coloured LEDs, or RGB LEDs and mix the colour. The RGB also tend to get better saturation without dimming. Otherwise I suggest trying Lee filters.

Also most saber pics are taken without a flash. Even hilt pics are best taken with a good light source and no flash.
    Last edited by Crystal Chambers; 08-05-2011 at 06:04 AM.

I like it. Is that a white LED with a green disk? If so, I love the ghostly effect it gives!
    Hey! Visit my deviantArt page!
    http://kai-sabol.deviantart.com/

"Strength isn't power. Power comes from your desire to keep the peace, and your will to fight for it." -Me

Here's a video of my saber for all to admire! I hate the sound of my own voice on video, but oh well...

This video does justice to the brightness of the LED and the blade, which I'm happy with. Comments and questions are welcome!

CM

That looks reasonably bright. The colour does seem pale. How does it look in the dark? I've had some luck with the two greens and a yellow disc combined to get a nice yellowish green. Not the brightest but it seems to equal a red lux3 well. With your current blade I would suggest adding 4 feet of clear wrap inside the diffuser. It would even it out more. My first blade was done the same way but now I'm really sold on the trans white blades. They seem to be the brightest and most even blade although they don't have the texture or edge effects of other blade options.

Looks great! be happy of your accomplishments. You did a hell of a job.
    "A correction added to one’s store of knowledge. It was a thing to be grateful for, not something to take offense at. "
    "Choose what is right, not what is easy"

cap, im assuming you figured out your brightness issue, congrats I love it. The rebel white is off the chain too lol i cant wait to see your next saber.
    "The force is everywhere, it binds us togeather"