Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: New guy getting ready to start first MHS

For myself, I'd probably go with pommel 1 - it just seems to flow a bit better than either of the other two to me. Either way, I think you've got a good start going here.

Pommel #1 does seem to make the saber terminate less abruptly. Plus, it gives me more wiggle room for the electronics. Right now, I'm about 60/40 leaning towards pommel #1.

Any suggestions on the placement & type of screw to go with on the for the blade retention screw?

With set screws I usually go with the 10/32 x 1/4" set screw Tim sells. Big enough to get a satisfying hold on the blade, and short enough to not stand out against the blade holder. Any screw will do, really - the thumb screws have the advantage of not needing anything more than your own fingers to unscrew them. As far as placement goes, if you were planning on having Tim drill and tap the hole for you, you can just put in the "Location for hole?" box that it goes on the blade holder and it's for a retention screw, and he'll do right by you. If you're planning on doing it yourself... I'm not sure - I've never seen that blade holder in real life before. My suggestion would be on the neck of the holder, the higher up the better. That's just my guess from looking at the pictures, though. Bear in mind that what you're doing with the screw is mostly just pressing the blade against the other side of the blade holder, thus increasing the friction on the blade itself.

Parts have been ordered. I'll start a build thread when they arrive. Thanks to everyone that helped me out!