Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: New guy getting ready to start first MHS

Default New guy getting ready to start first MHS

Hello, all! First of all, I'd like to say that I've been lurking for a while now, & I've been massively impressed with the saber designs I've seen. I've also been quite enamored with the sense of community on these boards. Now onto business.

In my younger (Padawan) days I built many a sink-tube saber. My designs were often hit-or-miss, but there are a couple of them that I'm particularly proud of. I've never built any sort of lighted saber & I want to go with MHS for my first LED saber. I'm also wanting to add sound to this one.

Here's the 1st draft of the design I was thinking about. I really want this saber to be a "skeletal" Soresu-type saber. I'd like it to be similar to an Obi-Wan/Luke saber, but personalized. I'd really appreciate any critiques or suggestions for this design. I'm mostly unsure about the pommel I've chosen.

So, let me know what you guys think! Again, I'm not sure which pommel to use. I know I'm not quite ready to do a lighted switch on this saber, but switch suggestions are also welcome.

MTFBWY

Thumbs up

I would defiantly use the antivandell switch, they look fantastic.
    Are you planning on having a control box or mount directly to the saber?
    Also the pommels is ok, but if you’re unsure, just try out some other combinations using the HMS builder, It’s what I did, lined up all my Favourites and choose the best one.
    Otherwise thumbs up.

Thanks for the thumbs up on the design, Tarrell! I do like this pommel, but I'm torn between it and pommel #10. I'd like to mount the switch directly to the saber with no control box. Do you think you could link to one of the antivandell switches that you were referring to? I'm not quite sure which they are. I really appreciate the input!

Jedi Knight
    Jedi Knight
    Zama City, Japan, Sol 3, Gould Belt, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster

AV or Anti-Vandal Switches are under Switches. conveniently, all under AV Style for both Latching and Momentary.

Latching
    Momentary
    CLICK HERE FOR ALL YOUR ECONO SOUND BOARD WIRING DIAGRAM NEEDS!

Duel - to fight someone 1 on 1. Dual - 2 of something in line with each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Multiple People
    To Azmaria listen you should...

Okay... So this is how much of a noob I am. I assumed that AV was audio-visual. Haha! When I think about it, audio-visual doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Okay. Thanks so much for the help!

Azmaria, what did you think of the design? Any suggestions? and thanks again.

Those switches are nice. As it is my first time building a saber that has both light & sound, will it be very difficult to wire this using an AV switch? I plan on using a Hasbro economy board.
    Last edited by stegasp; 04-09-2011 at 07:47 PM.

Jedi Knight
    Jedi Knight

personally i think it's a nice design for a first saber - lots of room and a great jumping point into the hobby. as for that pommel, it doesn't have much resonance to it so i would actually recommend one of the longer pommels, but it's still a very good one and goes well with that main body.

as for the AV switches, they're fairly easy to wire. you'll want a momentary version as well as the AV countersunk hole service in the store, so you can get the nut on it - and that's a bit of a pain either way. as for wiring for the ecomo boards with an accent LED in the AV switch, see the red link in my sig. ^_^

Thanks for the advice. I've put together a revised design with a longer pommel. This one uses pommel #10. I've actually read through your econo wiring diagrams before. They're great walkthroughs & they're very easy to follow. But since my soldering experience is very limited, I was a bit worried about trying to use an illuminated switch on my first LED saber. I'm willing to give it a shot, though!

Would it be wise to go ahead and ask Tim to not cut the final groove since pommel #10 is supposed to be fairly heavy?

Here's the revised saber design. All critiques & opinions are welcome!

Jedi Knight
    Jedi Knight

that looks rather bottom heavy to me now... but still quite nice. as for that bottom groove, yeah i would have him skip it for that one. what about pommels 3v2 or 5?

heh, those actually aren't my diagrams. i point everyone to them because Rhyen and Cardcollector did so well on the information in them. ^_^

Azmaria, you're my new best friend! Haha... Well, I was hesitant to use either of the pommel #3's because they make this design a bit close to the Obi-Wan/Luke sabers, but I think the splash of color helps differentiate them. Here are two revisions with the pommels you suggested. Again, thank you so much for the help! I can't wait to start ordering parts. I just need to get this design finalized!

Pommel 3v2

Pommel 5

Jedi Knight
    Jedi Knight

yeah pommel 3v2 looks reallly good with that emitter. ^_^

have fun and good luck!