Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Steampunk WIP

Default Steampunk WIP (updated pics on page 3)

Hey everyone,

Here's a saber I've been tinkering with for a little over a month.
    The design was inspired mainly by Slothfurnace's Derelict (graflex shroud) and Chaos_79's Isambard (pommel).

The thing is this - I'm not sure what it is, but something here doesn't seem to work stylistically for me.... I'm not sure if it's just the color combination or what...
    I've already done a lot to the saber and I don't think the design is going to change all that much, but I wanted to get a sense of what the rest of you think...Maybe it's the clash of the copper and brass/gold tones?

Anyway some info about this saber:
    front is a imitation graflex brass shroud. There's a small watch movement on top where the power switch used to be. I bent some solid brass colored wire to make the "exhaust manifold" looking thing in front. I used the watch band around the choke portion in place of some more pipes. There is a working battery meter in the back portion of the hilt, and I used a working skeleton watch in the pommel like Isambard.
    I kind of feel like the front half turned out exactly like I wanted and the back half turned out just like I wanted, but the combo of the two - maybe they should be parts of different sabers? The only thing I could come up with was maybe weathering the copper radiator coils on the back so they don't look like new copper anymore. (do they make copper black solution?) Or maybe axe the watch band in the middle?

Any feedback and constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks,
    -C
    Last edited by cannibal869; 03-29-2011 at 11:41 PM.
    LOCKHEED

That is a beautiful Saber Cannibal.

It's quite reminiscent of the sabre I'm building. However MUCH more detailed. It looks awesome. Good work.

It's a beautiful hilt. Since you asked for comments, I really like the watch band around the choke as a textural element but it seems a little bright in color. Also, the front top section seems to be too smooth - perhaps use some of the copper wire used on the rear radiators forward or wrap the lower coil?

Blog Entries

I really like the watch band, it is definitely one of the more original things I have seen. I think antiquing the whole thing out will make it look superb, not that it doesn't already. What kind of watch did the pommel movements come out of? And then how is it held in place?
    Last edited by iamdrake; 11-27-2010 at 12:51 PM.

Jedi Initiate
    Jedi Initiate
    Blog Entries

that is way cool! what did that gauge come out of?

the business end is rather bare, but i'm sure you'll get some gears or small pipes or something up there soon.
    Now known as Azmaria Dei
    i really need "meow on clash" mya! =^_^=

duel - to fight someone 1 on 1
    dual - 2 of something in line with each other

Awesome looking saber. I would either polish up the entire hilt or weather all of it and call it good.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

Loving this hilt, totally digging the pommel watch gears, only thing I would add is some type of cover to keep dirt out.

I say make it very weathered in a sense that it should have lots of fingerprints on it, like it was ACTUALLY used. So don't ever clean it
    Also, I don't know if it would do anything, but copper wires go an interesting tarnished, burnt colour when you run high power through them. You might try that to make them less shiny?

I love it so far! Any ideas as to what's going in it?

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

I personally say weather the whole thing.
    And i mean the works, slight scratches, oil stains (the black stuff, not salad oil..), grime, dirt, smudges, coffee stains (Sure, why not...), anything.
    Perhaps even burn-weathering the emitter.

Just my 2/100 of a credit.

Official Owner of Skottsaber at Bowling

Design-wise, I like that saber a lot. I think the thing that doesn't "work" for me is the lack of copper in the front section to tie in with the copper in the back. Maybe adding a copper greeblie or some other accent to the front shroud would help? I like the watch band, but maybe it should be scuffed/dulled a little to better match the texture of the brass graflex shroud?

Edit: After looking again at the "exhaust manifold" type wires on the front half, I think they might look good in copper instead of brass too.
    Last edited by Jedi-Elf; 11-27-2010 at 02:41 PM.