Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: trying to make an Obi-Wan ROTS (as close to replica as possible) saber

Default trying to make an Obi-Wan ROTS (as close to replica as possible) saber

Hey guys Newb here so sorry if this has already been posted.

I was told at CIII that I looked like Obi-Wan Kenobi so I began costuming as him, unfortunately I was using a broken MR Luke ROTJ saber. I missed the oppurtunity to buy an eFX stunt saber so I have begun looking around for them and am not willing to pay double price on something made of resin. So then I stumbled upon this site looking up how to make an Obi-Wan saber.

I was actualy just interested in having a good looking hilt that is as acurate as possible, but then I noticed how neat the blades are. I actually would be hanging the lightsaber on my belt, but thought if blades are removable it would be neat to add a blade if they can be used for lightsaber duels as long as they aren't too rough. So was just wondering your guys opinions on what to do. Also had some questions about the powdered coating.

As for the hilt here is what I have so far.

MPS Pommel style 3 v2
    Activation box style 7
    3" Fluted double female threaded connector
    Screw on LED blade holder style 8
    Ribbed grooved / Choke Combo
    Covertec clip

Does that look right?

obviously I would need the black, gold and brass colors (PC I guesS)... also I would need those other 2 screw things in the activator....

The only problem is the blade holder is a bit wide, for a replica it would need to be a bit narrower above the choke.. but obviously couldn't support a blade then (hence my considering going with a blade.

Sorry that's long but if anyone else has any help or suggestions please say so.
    Last edited by Jedi_Master_Maoak; 04-03-2011 at 03:50 PM.

the blade holder can't be modified with a thinner neck

bh 8
    ribbed groove choke combo
    2 or 3 extension..if you go with the 2 extension you have to drill through the threads ..can be done but carefully so you don't mess them up
    mhs gear
    pommel 3 v2
    box 7
    either black or natural card

don't forget a thumb screw for the blade

yes pc would be good Tim does great work...

i did one of these last year only i used box 1
    it has econo obiwan sound and this mom switch

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Other-C73.aspx

get this blade

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/1-...ong--P529.aspx

an either one of these tips

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Sh...disc-P138.aspx

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Bu...ades-P361.aspx

hope this helps

Last edited by jin starkiller; 04-03-2011 at 04:28 PM.

Jedi Knight
    Jedi Knight
    Zama City, Japan, Sol 3, Gould Belt, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster

yep definitely need the gear. and the econo Obi board is the perfect sound for it too. and the pommel 3v2 has great resonance in it as well. i line my pommels with some thin plastic - .1-.3mm thick. just enough to bounce the sound better than the bare aluminum. just make sure the plastic is tight against the aluminum. ^_^
    CLICK HERE FOR ALL YOUR ECONO SOUND BOARD WIRING DIAGRAM NEEDS!

Duel - to fight someone 1 on 1. Dual - 2 of something in line with each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Multiple People
    To Azmaria listen you should...

Default thanks

hanks guys, I am definitely considering. Like I said the only draw back is the neck under the blade emitter shroud. I gues I will do more research before deciding, may even make a custom non-Obi 1 for here. I'm only 25 but my hair is thinning so might not be able to go as Obi from ep III much longer anyways, so might have to just be myself as a Jedi haha.. thanks again I will be back.

Jedi Knight
    Jedi Knight
    Zama City, Japan, Sol 3, Gould Belt, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster

could try a wig. i know most guys can't pull them off well, but it's still an option.

sorry, not really a problem i have. ^_^
    CLICK HERE FOR ALL YOUR ECONO SOUND BOARD WIRING DIAGRAM NEEDS!

Duel - to fight someone 1 on 1. Dual - 2 of something in line with each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Multiple People
    To Azmaria listen you should...

Jedi Initiate Loachri MacTalabh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi_Master_Maoak View Post
    hanks guys, I am definitely considering. Like I said the only draw back is the neck under the blade emitter shroud. I gues I will do more research before deciding, may even make a custom non-Obi 1 for here. I'm only 25 but my hair is thinning so might not be able to go as Obi from ep III much longer anyways, so might have to just be myself as a Jedi haha.. thanks again I will be back.
    Don't feel bad, I'm 37 (or will be at the end of the month), and I am in the same boat as you. Take a look at my profile picture.

Hey guys, I'm planning a similar build but I'm not going for a complete replica, just something close. I'm planning on using all of the same parts except I'm going switch out the extension piece for the 4" Double Female Grooved w/o Holes. I was originally going to use a cheapo Obi Wan card but now I'm thinking about using one of the PC-Ls that I have (I stocked up). Instead of using the usual activation box, I'm thinking about going with Activation Box 3. That way I can use two of the short AV switches for the power on/off and aux and take advantage of the PC-L lighting options. I already know that the screws for the box will be in the threads of the choke combo but Tim has done this for me on other builds. This of course brings up the problem of cram-fu. I use 7.4v dual 18650 e2e packs in my PC-L builds. That means that I'm looking at this for a tentative inside look...

Does anyone think this isn't going to work and that I should go back to the cheapo card and standard box?

Well first of all I don't think that the battery pack fits to the ribbed section.

Secondly, you might want to dremel your PC in 2 if you're going to put it there

Maybe over the Li-Ion pack, before the activation box?

The battery pack is only about 3/4" thick so it should extend without a problem. The only reason I put the PC there was for wire management. I could put it on top of the battery pack but with all the wires, I thought I'd need the space. The PC is pretty small so I think it will fit in there plus it will allow me to have access to the SD card if need be.

Yeah, but PC in a choke is... Well, unless you install a black hole teleport inside the choke then I don't think it'll fit.