Thread: Idle Current (OLD economy hasbro)

Default Idle Current (OLD economy hasbro)

Ok, question here about idle current... Someone brought their saber back, saying the batteries keep going dead when it hasn't been used. I metered it, and got an idle current of 13 mA. The saber is set up with a really old economy hasbro and switching is handled with a MOSFET.

The Question is... is this in the normal range, or is it likely that I have a wiring issue somewhere? (everything else works just fine). I figure I could just add a main power switch to keep it from draining when not in use, but I want to make sure I don't have some other problem there.

Those who have earned the right to boast have no need to.

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have problems with excessive battery drain with the Hasbro Qui-gon boards, but no other boards I have used...

You could add in a recharge port and solve all problems without addition of another switch.

Or just have them remove the batteries when not in use... That's what I do, whether there is a power drain or not.
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

It could just be the idle currrent draw from the board, if it's as old as you say.
    Also, you might also have some drain through the FET. You could fix it with a 10k resistor.

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

Yep, i have either an old vader or qui-gon, mixed them up and forgot, but mine drains even when combined with my old corbin 3w driver card.

And. I think i just fried something trying to clean up my wiring.