Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Core Saber

Well I wouldn't say almost tore the community. Maybe some people stretched a muscle laughing. But for future anti light saber blade attempts please make it impressive beyond what we've seen already or you will likely get an anti response.

Jedi Knight
    Jedi Knight
    Zama City, Japan, Sol 3, Gould Belt, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster

Quote Originally Posted by Sunrider View Post
    Well I wouldn't say almost tore the community. Maybe some people stretched a muscle laughing. But for future anti light saber blade attempts please make it impressive beyond what we've seen already or you will likely get an anti response.
    from the threads i read when i got here, it seemed that a lot of people stressed over it quite a bit and a lot of feelings were hurt then. i just don't want future generations of TCSS'rs to learn that lesson every few months.

i'm still serious about my radioactive obsidian though.
    CLICK HERE FOR ALL YOUR ECONO SOUND BOARD WIRING DIAGRAM NEEDS!

Duel - to fight someone 1 on 1. Dual - 2 of something in line with each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Multiple People
    To Azmaria listen you should...

I give Insomaniac credit for actually trying to make something work. I think a lot of the hurt feelings from before were caused by too many people saying "try this" and "try that" without actually doing any experimentation themselves. Ideas were being tossed out and shot down at a very rapid rate.

It's a neat effect, and it looks really cool in video games or on TV. If anyone ever does come up with an easy and inexpensive method to faithfully recreate the effect, they'll definitely get the attention of the saber community.

Az, when you make your radioactive obsidian, could you make a second one and send it to me? I need something to keep my feet warm at night
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Radioactive foot warmers have a slight drawback... You often wake up with more feet than you fell asleep with. Then you have to buy more warmers.

Kental, there's a difference between "bashing" and critically examining. Also no one criticized anyone because it (black lightsabers) hadn't been done before. That's a terrible mischaracterization of what took place here. The criticism was because people were attempting to solve the problem without first examining the problem, which is just plain bad science. You seem to think that it is somehow more noble to fail by trying than to avoid the failure altogether by achieving an understanding before you act. To me that seems a childish point of view.

NONE of the oldtimers on this forum have EVER to my memory tried to stifle creativity.

Hey what's up guys, I was busy for the past couple of days, but what I did was I ordered a 3-UP Indus star because it has three LED's mounted in a triangle formation all within the star board along with matching optics. This allows more light to be put "around" the black core instead of losing it with the normal single LED set-up.

Here is the saber right now in the dark running the Indus star at about 1000ma with a max of 1500ma so I can still squeeze some light out of these puppies

In the light

Compared to stock Hasbro Vader in the dark

I think it's getting better to at least my own personal goal, but I still have a few things to try and find a goldilocks zone for this blade. But hey some people learn a little bit better by doing things like myself so I am not too stressed about the result it's fun to do so that's all I need
    Last edited by Insomaniac; 04-01-2011 at 02:27 PM.

Jedi Knight
    Jedi Knight
    Zama City, Japan, Sol 3, Gould Belt, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster

that's actually looking pretty good. maybe if you try tapering the LED end of that center black thing and add a bit of polypropelene as a diffuser up the sides...

they said no to my obsidian rod idea... they won't let me near those reactors... or travel north, for that matter. ^_^
    CLICK HERE FOR ALL YOUR ECONO SOUND BOARD WIRING DIAGRAM NEEDS!

Duel - to fight someone 1 on 1. Dual - 2 of something in line with each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Multiple People
    To Azmaria listen you should...

Quote Originally Posted by TimeRender View Post

Kental, there's a difference between "bashing" and critically examining. Also no one criticized anyone because it (black lightsabers) hadn't been done before. That's a terrible mischaracterization of what took place here. The criticism was because people were attempting to solve the problem without first examining the problem, which is just plain bad science. You seem to think that it is somehow more noble to fail by trying than to avoid the failure altogether by achieving an understanding before you act. To me that seems a childish point of view.

NONE of the oldtimers on this forum have EVER to my memory tried to stifle creativity.

I know I've been critical about this subject before here and other forums but as TimeRender says I would NEVER want to stifle anyones creativity...and I'll applaud anyone who proves me wrong and be happy for them, afterall I'd like a 'TFU-negative' blade too...but there's an old saying: A smart man learns from his mistakes not to make them again, a wise man learns from others' mistakes not to make them the first time. It behooves anyone wanting to make one of these oh so desired blades to get thoroughly informed on the quite extensive discussion of this subject on several saber forums by some very smart people who've examined this subject very very thoroughly from a great many angles from advanced engineering to theoretical physics.

Artists are taught that you have to learn the rules before you can break them, scientists are taught you can't break physical laws but if you know enough about them you can sometimes find specific conditions to allow getting around them. Either way knowledge of what has already been attempted is essential if for no other reason than to avoid wasting your own time and efforts retrying what others have already found out failed.

MTFBWY

Too bad about the obsidian rod idea

But yes I have been playing around with adding more/less poly-p and changing the size of the center to see which produces the best effect. I will be trying to get up a some comparison shots after work of the different combos.

And yes a bit of a taper does help especially in photos, I just for some reason haven't tapered this particular size yet but definitely will do that soon.

I have to say I think the main reasons anyone is being any bit discouraging regarding this is it gets peoples hopes up who don't understand how difficult/impossible this effect is to achieve and I for one would hate to think of you wasting your time on it. If you enjoy the process somehow or learn other things that may come in handy otherwise then go nuts just don't go crazy..lol

If only there was an opposite of corbin film. Nibroc film?

I am still trying to figure out why some of us spent hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars to get the brightest blades possible. Now we are on a quest fo find the darkest blade possible that will have only a slight glow on the top and bottom of the blade when viewed from a particular angle?

I am not out to tell anyone they shouldn't try to do it if that is what they want. I would however caution that you won't find much help on this issue. It has been debated in the past and many people just feel it is nothing more than a gimic and not really worthy of the huge investment it would take (monetary, timewise, and sweat equity) for a gimic blade.
    Last edited by acerocket; 04-05-2011 at 09:33 AM.