Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Slothfurnace's ANH Vader Reveal

Looks really evenly lit! well done!
    When your lightsabers gutter and die in your hands,
    your blaster packs run dry of charge,
    your words of power dry up in your throat and I am still standing,
    what will you do then?

Thanks Nully!

So now that we're home with the baby, while she's sleeping, I am working...

Originally, for this saber, I was going with a 4xAAA battery pack and Hasbro/Master Replicas Yoda soundcard. However, now that I have access to the Petit Crouton 1.5 unlocked version, I wanted to allow for more soundcard/battery pack options. To do that I hollowed out much more of the rear of the battery can than I originally had done. Seen here are my two 14500 rechargeable Lithium ion batteries, the MicroSD card socket and my recharge port.

At this point I am test fitting components to see how I want them all laid out. There's enough room now in here for the batteries with heat shrink, and soundcard with heat shrink. Also there's room in the back for the speaker, and that leaves the front neck with the slots completely empty, which allows for...

...me to attempt to relocate the MicroSD card to a remote socket, and allow for easy swap of the MicroSD card from the exterior of the can, so the sound font and other settings can be accessed without having to disassemble the saber.

I also slightly countersunk my recharge port, and am test fitting the MicroSD socket to see where it fits best.

I might pass it throgh one of the slots, like so. However, I might also want to mill a more form-fitting slot below this. It just depends on how things line up. I will most likely machine a nylon or delrin piece for the inside of the neck to insulate and hold the card slot, and aux power switch, and allow for the recharge port.
    Last edited by slothfurnace; 07-09-2011 at 08:04 AM.

CordaroyFog: you know, its really mean to set the bar that high.

The micro sd slot idea is pretty slick. I really like that. Very happy to see this project is still carrying along.

<claps hands loudly>
    OUTSTANDING SIR!!
    LOCKHEED

Another neat trick for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Er Dan Gill View Post
    Another neat trick for sure.
    Bradley "Neat Trick" Lewis definitely has a ring to it...
    I think we're all in the nail-biting phase of excitement and anticipation for this build.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man how to build a lightsaber and he will forever feast on tauntaun carcasses and aqualish arms. TimeRender
    Jesus pogostick what kind of Rodian clusterbomb is this? DD
    TCSS: It's all my favorite people I've never met, all in one place

Still testing the remote SD socket feature, will update as I get progress on it, till then, a minor speaker update.

Behold! The rear of the battery/card can. What you see here is the speaker mount and mainspring. The mainspring I robbed out of the wife's old mop handle she threw out. This spring will push between the MPP battery cap end and the speaker mount shown here to open the saber.

I machined this speaker mount out of a scrap piece of Delrin. I really need to get some new chunks of Delrin, as I am running out. It makes for really awesome speaker mounts and resonance chambers. This is the same type of speaker I used in Derelict.

The mainspring seats on the shoulder of the speaker mount with a nice snap. I left a half inch lip on the back of the mount to go inside the battery can. The battery pack and soundcard have about a 1/4 inch play once it's installed, so it's snug, but not too tight.

Sometimes i forget about your ANH Vader, and have to read through all this from start to last update, and each time its still awesome, and makes me want one.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Are you using any kind of resistance mechanism to regulate the speed of the reveal?

I have a ratcheting screwdriver from RS that has internal bit storage:

When you push the button, the carriage slides out really slow and smooth.
    I think I'm going to end up doing a spring reveal on my current saber, and I was tinkering over ideas on how to replicate the effect.
    The only thing I could come up with was the air-springs, like on screen doors (not to be confused with the pressurized hatch springs).
    I decided the simplest way would be using restricted airflow as a braking mechanism, either through a chassis disk with an o-ring and pinhole, or a disk with a very precise gap tolerance with the ID of the body.
    I would drill and tap a hole in the "seal" disk, to accommodate a brass nipple, so I could pass the forward wires through an airtight hose in order to maintain regulated flow.

Is this something you've thought about on this build at all?

[edit] I would use one of the larger size disks for the forward end, so that the whole thing would be anchored behind the BH.
    Last edited by KuroChou; 07-22-2011 at 10:24 AM.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man how to build a lightsaber and he will forever feast on tauntaun carcasses and aqualish arms. TimeRender
    Jesus pogostick what kind of Rodian clusterbomb is this? DD
    TCSS: It's all my favorite people I've never met, all in one place

Ah, yes, it all depends on my tolerances when I have it all put together, but the way my can and case is constructed wouldn't allow for airpressure resistance since there will be a large soundport hole in the back, and no room to create a secondary airpressure shell. my Luke ROTJ had a secondary spring to slow it down as it opened, I'll probably do something along those lines to ease the force of the mainspring.