Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Slothfurnace's ANH Vader Reveal

Default Slothfurnace's ANH Vader Reveal

Since I'll probably actually finish this one before Derelict, I thought I should start a thread about it.

This will be my ANH Vader "epic" reveal, crystal chamber, yadda yadda for a client with loads of patience and time to wait

The first thing I started doing was sketching out the moving parts, trying to come up with a good way to open and close the saber, which meant a reliable and durable locking mechanism. Naturally, before I had my head wrapped around the way this needed to work, I drew it backwards; as is evidenced by the annotation.

Correcting that, and sketching out the rest of the insides, I realized this wasn't far off from my ANH Graflex in terms of layout. (battery can, crystal chamber, plug into blade adapter) One thing that annoyed me about the ANH graflex was the fact that the crystal chamber itself was obscured by the top half of the graflex when the chassis was engaged into the blade adapter. Now I know the MPP based Vader sabers don't seperate in the middle like the graflex based sabers. I'll have to cut it just under the clamp, and machine a few parts to ensure than when it's closed, it will be sturdy.

Designing in a double springloaded reveal would solve that, and allow me some extra "cool factor" upon completion.

To put the rear mechanism to the test, I machined the appropriate (yet backwards, dangit) slots into a scrap piece of aluminum tubing.

The size of the endmill I used is the same as this small rollerbearing I salvaged out of something. I could just use a static pin, but it wouldn't be as smooth an operation, and the wider surface area of the roller bearing will mean less stress on the attachment point at the flash wall.

Seen here, how the rear flash will fit over the battery can, slide forward...

...with the bearing moving in the groove of the can...

...till it hits a stop. The rear flash body will rotate to allow the bearing to engage the main slot...

...at which point, spring pressure will push the camera flash body back into "locked open" position. To close the saber, you'll push the rear body forward...

... then rotate closed.

CordaroyFog: you know, its really mean to set the bar that high.

At a certain point, I started working on the battery section. I wanted an exposed power plant area to be visible, but didn't want to sacrifice room for batteries, so I plan to embed the batteries into the power plant. To do this, I'll need to decorate some brass tubing...

... cut it to length for the AA batteries and blacken the pieces...

And construct the main 3 sided housing. I soldered these together using a Creme Brulee torch and then milled out the curved slots to show the blackened ribbed sections that fit the batteries.

Seen here with greeblies held together with a rubber band, this section will go between sounboard and crystal chamber.

Speaking of crystals, I finally found an appropriate smoky quartz crystal from China.

In a temporary lighting setup, I have some detailing on the LED and with a test power up...

It looks like the crystal will diffuse light well. Two more LEDs and I'll be able to start the chamber lighting array.

CordaroyFog: you know, its really mean to set the bar that high.

Very cool unveiling of your new project....i like the battery section that you have going there really cool looking ,,,,,can't wait till the final product

I love your work! I would love to have you build me a saber someday. I have so many ideas that I just can't produce myself.

BTW - the quote in your sig is priceless!

Sloth, you are awesome. The movable parts you come up with are amazing. I really like the hidden batteries. As with all who watch, i eagerly await the continuation of this thread.

i am wondering did you cut all the grooves on the battery sleeve by hand or is you machine cnc? If by hand, nicely done. My lathe/mill. Has totally worn out dials so i generally have to eye ball all my cuts or physically use a caliper. Can wait to upgrade some day
    Last edited by Borax; 03-23-2011 at 09:08 PM.

Wow, so cool! Can't wait to see more.
    -AV

LEGENDARY THREAD!!!

Brad, I can't believe you put a freaking ball bearing in there!
    Wow, the epicness continues to impress and amaze me.

Bravo!!!
    LOCKHEED

Be sure to facebook him everyone!

https://www.facebook.com/Slothfurnace
    Corbin_Das: If I got a tattoo below my waist, it'd say "Found someone you have I would say, hmmmm?"

*Looks up*
    Somebody wants to have a 1k follower giveaway

Sloth, I really can't convince myself to join the monotonany of this thread.
    So I'm going to just say Super banana chocolate milkshake head bamboo mercury infused cat brains with Martian hollandaise awesomesauce

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent