Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: FINALLY!!! My First MHS Saber.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi-Loreen View Post
    There's more than just 2 holes.

You do recall that the Starkiller saber had a crystal chamber with a single, larger cut out, right?

I know it does. I just did the CC like this for added strength. I wasn't sure if having half of the extension piece milled out would weaken it, so I went with 3 large slots.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunrider View Post
    That's pretty cool man. You should have waited & entered it in the contest. Congrats on a great first MHS hilt.
    Thank you, I would've but I posted picks of the CC already, & I posted a pick on one of my threads showing the custom extension Tim did for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Badkitty View Post
    very very nice. i love the weathered look. the blade looks kinda of short...how long is it?
    The blade 27 1/2" long. I've read somewhere that katana blades are 27 - 29" long, so I try to keep my blades around that length. That length is also comfortable for me.
    Thank you everyone. I really appreciate it.

Awesome! I knew the day would come for you to shine in the MHS category of building.....and you done did it! This is probably the first time I have to agree that the blade could be a bit longer. Personally I'd go with 32". The one other thing I can crit is I'm not sure why you didn't use real pins seeing as you can get them here in the store. Otherwise I love the twist you put on it and the execution overall is great! PVC won't be the same after this will it?

I must say I have to mirror CC's post 100%
    Pretty much everything I was going to say.

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

Thank you guys. CC, I didn't use actual pins because I thought they would stick out to far. I noticed that, that part of an actual Graflex is recessed and I didn't want to go messing around with the top of the blade holder & muck it up. I also feel that the set screws add a nice texture & a bit of character to the overall design. I personaly like to keep my blades under 30", I feel that the saber isn't as top heavy & that I have more blade control when it comes to spinning. But CC you're right, after finishing this one, pvc just insn't going to be the same. I still have a few more pvc projects to complete & I also have to build one for my friends younger son for his birthday. After handleing an MHS saber, then hadleing a pvc saber, there is just no comparrison. It has a nice solid feel. I'm planning on rebuilding my wifes saber in MHS. I was also quite surprised on how easy it was to shape the MHS sleeve material. That stuff is great.
    Last edited by Darth Midian; 03-22-2011 at 10:24 AM.

I'm just planing my own first saber, can you tell me where I can get this part? Is this a modified Replica brass Graflex top that is currently not available in the shop?

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I am going to say he made it...

It isn't hard really I have made a few PVC pieces that have that kind of shroud. Just draw a template out on graph paper until you like the way it looks.
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by alden View Post
    I'm just planing my own first saber, can you tell me where I can get this part? Is this a modified Replica brass Graflex top that is currently not available in the shop?
    Alden, Cardcollectors right, I made it out of the MHS sleeve material. Here's where I got my template from. http://www.hu.u-net.com/graflica/home.htm The template only gives you the emitter part of the shroud. The rest of it I drew out on gragh paper.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

DM, my comment was directed at the person who had posted just above me.

I guess I should have quoted him, so there wouldn't be any confusion.

I happen to like your take on this saber, and like the crystal chamber cut outs.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Thx for the link, but cutting metal is a step too high for me, or is there a way to cut metal without expensive pro tools?

Quote Originally Posted by alden View Post
    Thx for the link, but cutting metal is a step too high for me, or is there a way to cut metal without expensive pro tools?
    Really all you need is a steady hand and a dremel, not sure what DM used, but many many people here use dremels.

DM - Awesome job man, looks really good.
    Yub Yub Commander.