Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Over sized hood question...

Default Over sized hood question...

i just picked up simp pattern 5840 from local jo-anns. hood is pointed for Robe B, i have a good idea on how to round it out, but to over size the hood properly, i need some guidance.

I personally don't have the pattern but at this site http://www.rebellegion.com/jedigarb/robe.html there is very detailed instructions on how to construct a hood that is very big. It worked good for me! Good luck on your robe.

if you want it movie sized its 2 foot. i used the pointed hood style and just cut it down to where it looked right in a rounded shape. alll seams sewn together on inside and then turned out to attach to robe.

Lan-Ed-Tul
    The Brotherhood Of The Sith
    SL 6208 501st legion & SLD
    TK-6208

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side.......
    Proud member of the FSM!!

Lan, could you explain the 2' ? Is it 2' square? Not sure what you mean.

well, if i remember right 2 foot i beleive meant how tall the hood was if layed out on its side flat. if that makes any sense to you

Lan-Ed-Tul
    TK-6208

Jedi Knight
    Jedi Knight
    Zama City, Japan, Sol 3, Gould Belt, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster

so 2 feet from the base of the neck seam to the tip?
    CLICK HERE FOR ALL YOUR ECONO SOUND BOARD WIRING DIAGRAM NEEDS!

Duel - to fight someone 1 on 1. Dual - 2 of something in line with each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Multiple People
    To Azmaria listen you should...

wait i remembered now, you lay out 2 pieces 2 foot square(yes, you were right) and either using something like a drawing compass or by eye like i did, round off one corner on both pieces. you want that curve to blend in right from back up over and into the top edge. sew the back from bottom up around the cut curve you made, all way to front edge.
    then unfold keeping the sewn edge up, and fold over a 1/8th inch and pin along the front edge and sew down, making a nice folded oversewn frontedge to hood, then however you wish to attach hood, just make sure it is right side out to cape as you sew down the lower hood edges. you will have to some scrunching mainly in the rear or back, to take up some hood material as you attach it, theyll be more material on hood than the neck edge to attach together, so scrunching up excess at rear is best, when hood is down you never see it, and even when up, it droops down over it in back to hide it.

Lan-Ed-Tul
    TK-6208

The hood on my robe is 40" long x 20" deep...it was a simple rectangle, and gathered at the neck of the robe:

It was modified from McCall's 9496 pattern that also had a pointed hood design to it originally.

Got a question? Start Here. Have you tried the Thread Index yet? Most questions can be answered there.

Jedi Initiate Loachri MacTalabh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Master Imesk K. View Post
    i have a good idea on how to round it out, but to over size the hood properly, i need some guidance.
    Thanks, I had the same question.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay-gon Jinn View Post
    The hood on my robe is 40" long x 20" deep...it was a simple rectangle, and gathered at the neck of the robe:
    Thats seems the easiest , at least for me. Thanks Jay-gon.

just finished my costume, thanks for all the advise

check it out!