Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Quick opinion on designs

Default Quick opinion on designs

I wasn't sure where to put this so I'll just leave it here for now. I just wanted an opinion on a pair of designs I'm working on. One if for practical use, the other is more of a joke saber (I was bored in class). I have yet to buy any parts or build these sabers; I want an opinion on these hilts before I do anything so I know they can work.

The first and more practical is called "Kinslayer". Here's a picture:

Obviously made in the MHS Builder and even more obviously inspired by Anakin AOTC (well it's obvious to me anyway..). I wanted the covertec wheel closer to the emitter but looking at the design now, I don't think it's possible to be in its current position because of threading. Worst case, I can put it closer to the pommel. The retention screw is obviously fine (right..?).

The one thing that I'm unsure about is the graflex clamp. I know exactly nothing of them but I wanna use one real bad (because graflex sabers are just so comfortable to me). I have the clamp over the power switch. I can do that and use the clamp as a button or slide switch to turn the saber on and off, right?

Other than those two things, I think the rest will be find. Just some O-rings for a little color. The whole point of Kinslayer would be dueling and functionality in addition to a somewhat sleek design, while going on a budget.

_____

The second saber is called "Mechanicus". It's faux-Latin and the design is meant to resemble a mechanical pencil. Why? I was sitting in class, staring at my pencil and thought, "man, this could be a lightsaber!" So I spent some time on the MHS builder and this is what I came up with.

Again, this is a joke saber. I just wanted to have some fun with it. I'd have a D-ring on the pommel (which I neglected to put in the design here) and a retention screw in the emitter (which I also neglected to put on the design above). I'd rather have the screw in the adapter below the emitter but again, I don't know if the threading will allow me enough space for that.

And as with the previous saber, I want to have the graflex clamp act as the switch to turn the saber on and off. If it works in Kinslayer, it obviously works in Mechanicus.

Last thing I want to know is how the double-male extension (the slots..) would work. Would I be seeing my LED through it or just the light from it? Or does that depend on the electronics when it's inside the hilt?

I think that's all I need to know. Thanks in advance for any help/replies. I'm still fairly new to this whole process and I'd rather be sure these designs will work before I buy any parts.

Personal opinion, I would probalby move the blade rention screw down a little, maybe 1/8 or 1/4 so it would "grab" more of the blade. (1st design)
    (2nd design) I'd probably go a little shorter, other then that - looks pretty good to me.
    Yub Yub Commander.

That's doable. I'll jot that down. I might even put in a second screw just to be safe. So the graflex idea will work on both sabers? And what of the covertec wheel on Kinslayer?

I like the length of Mechanicus simply because I'm not gonna hold it at the pommel; I'm gonna hold it at the main body of the saber and the extension, so my hands will be kinda close to the blade.

blade retention there is not good. it should be on the opposite side of blade holder to be effective. the covertec knob is upside down. and I don't think it looks good or belongs on a blade holder. You will have to mount the switch in the graflex clamp. I have done it three ways. 1. i push the clamp bar down onto the switch mounted out the side. 2. had the switch sticking out from the clamp facing the pommel or the blade holder. 3. hidden under the card and slide the card up and down to turn on/off. I personally can't stand O-rings on the outside of a saber. I think it looks cheap and is no where in the movies.

By "blade retention there", what do you mean? That I can't do it on the adaptor? I don't have a problem with that, I just want to be sure. I'll flip the covertec over; no big deal. I think if Vader sabers can have a D-ring on the blade holder and look decent, I think I can have a covertec wheel on mine and have it look decent too. The graflex ideas sound good; I'll make note of them as well.

But I think the O-ring thing is a matter of opinion. I love O-rings, especially when they can act as a faux-grip. =p

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi-Taka View Post
    By "blade retention there", what do you mean? That I can't do it on the adaptor?
    What adapter?

He's talking about the thumbscrew on your blade holder. It won't work to hold the blade in on that side of that style blade holder. You'll need to move it 180 degrees to the short side for proper blade retention, so that the screw will press the blade against the longer side.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

I mean the retention screw on the long of the blade holder. It should be on the short end of the blade holder for it to hold the blade properly.

Aesthetically, it should be what you like. take a look at some sabers that actually use some of those design elements and some that don't. you might surprise yourself.

Your render # 1 is the one that i personally would go with since it looks the best out of the two that you have.

Render # 2 just doesn't do it for me it seems that it needs something more to it ..but thats just my opinion

The graflex style clamps always look good on most sabers...you can either use the clamp for cosmetic purposes only or use it with the switch like JamoUp suggested

You could also put the switch in the pommel like i've seen others do also

Question are you going to be adding sound to your build????

Quote Originally Posted by jin starkiller View Post
    You could also put the switch in the pommel like i've seen others do also

Question are you going to be adding sound to your build????
    I thought about a switch for the second one in the pommel for fun with it (because it's a mechanical pencil.. you click the... is this joke getting old yet?).
    And yes, I'd be planning on sound for both.

Quote Originally Posted by JamoUp View Post
    Aesthetically, it should be what you like. take a look at some sabers that actually use some of those design elements and some that don't. you might surprise yourself.
    I can do that. Honestly, I made these just by going to the MHS building and screwing around for an hour. I only posted on a whim.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi-Loreen View Post
    What adapter?

He's talking about the thumbscrew on your blade holder. It won't work to hold the blade in on that side of that style blade holder. You'll need to move it 180 degrees to the short side for proper blade retention, so that the screw will press the blade against the longer side.
    So basically the screw needs to be on the opposite side? I can do that.
    And the adapter I was referring to is between the extension and blade holder; it's a 1.2 inch double-female adaptor, in saber #2.

I actually really like the second one, especially the choke right next to the pommel. I think some diamond knurling would do some good in that big blank space too. Would kind of look like a pencil grip if thats the look you want to go for.