Thread: drumsabers

Default drumsabers

hey guys. i'm new and i have to say i'm amazed with all the information here. i've just gotten into the hobby and i'm thankful for all the knowledge available from you all.

working on my first couple of sabers now. one with an us 2.5, the other with a pc-l. can't wait to get them going!

it's a bit off topic but i wanted to post my drum rig that i came up with for my current tour. i've aptly named them the drumsabers built by Q drum co.
    the shells are muted acrylic with 2 rgb led strips on each drum. one at each bearing edge. they're controlled by the lighting tech from the front of house via dmx control.
    the result...

pretty fun to play.

Mmmmmmmm.... I want them, I'm a drummer too. What's your band's name? You must be doing pretty well to get that little piece of awesome.

Well there's some awesome stage presence right there. Do the drums sound decent? I've had some terrible experiences recording plastic shells. I end up just using triggers and samples on them.

yo. they actually sound really good. it's not nearly as nice as maple but 1/2" acrylic shells with die cast hoops make for a pretty bright drum, excuse the pun.
    the led strips are pretty small so they don't really effect the sound too much.

Excellent!! That is very cool! I am also a drummer!! I was actually thinking of doing something like that with my snare...its a clear acrylic Pork Pie snare...Very nice! A little different, but pretty interesting, I knew a drummer from this one band who carpeted his drums!! They were fuzzy. It was pretty neat!

nice. haha. the only thing with clear is that you'll see the lights through it. it'll give a nice even color if you blast the shell to mute it.
    love those pork pies!

Bright sounding I can imagine. I can't say I'd go for an acrylic snare though lol, most important piece of the kit and all. I'm more a fan of the modern hardwoods kind of sound. Maple is OK. It's all personal preference at the end of the day though, no? They do look amazing.