Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Herugrim - A Vader's Vault PC-U saber

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Default Herugrim - A Vader's Vault PC-U saber

Hello Saberland

When you have a backlog as long as ours, you're bound to have a situation happen where a customer can't follow through with the build after it has already been started. This one was fortunate for us in that the design was all ours so we don't have to worry about holding on to a saber that isn't of our design. The original criteria that was given was that it had to be slender, compact and lightly weathered. What I came up with was a one piece hilt with the majority of the saber under 1.35" outer diameter. The main feature of this design was something that was brewing in my mind for a long time, a slender bar that runs the length of the hilt with 'finger grips' cut into it. The bar serves other functional purposes as well, it houses the recharge port and the custom aux switch. The recessed AV switch is sandwiched between to raised areas of the hilt to maximize it's low profile and prevent accidental ignition/retraction. The main handgrip is covered in a piece of Italian lambskin leather inset into an inlay in the hilt so everything is flush and nice. The grip bar is also milled on the backside to fit over the leather. The way the grip area was designed, your hand fits perfectly with the index finger poised to work the aux button and the rest of the fingers resting comfortably in the grip cuts. I also wanted a covertec in the design, but all readily available options didn't look right. So I machined my own and made it so it fit on the grip bar without overhanging the edge. The weathering on the hilt is what I call "10 foot weathering", meaning that at 10 feet it looks like a nice shiny polished saber. As you get close you can see the subtle wear on the weapon. No dings, or gouges just wear with grime in all the right nooks and crannies, places that don't get handled a lot. I wanted it to look used but not beat to heck.

For the electronics, we opted for the Petit Crouton and the original plan was for a green LED so we went with the LEDengin 5W green for a nice bright blade without having to compromise the battery since we were space limited. For the speaker, we were limited as the interior of the saber is only 1" inner diameter (that's right, PC-U, 7.4v stick pack, 2 switches all insulated, all in a 1"X6" space ) we couldn't go with the standard speaker options that are available. I had a laptop that was busted, so I decided to gut it and see what was in it for speakers. What I found was an Altec Lansing Aura 2 speaker sytem. Two little rectangular speakers installed in a ported pod/box. At 2W 4ohm they were perfect. I built my own speaker box to mount one in and installed that directly in the pommel and got great sound out of it. If you're looking for a compact speaker solution, look around for some busted laptops .

The PC-U is currently running with an altered version of Madcow's Shatterpoint font. Master Windu, as it's called was tweaked by Darth Xusia here on the forums. I like the louder hum and it fits the design of this saber well.

Quick Specs:

Custom machined slender hilt at 10.75" long
    Light weathering
    Italian Lambskin leather grip
    Custom machined grip bar
    Custom aux switch
    Recessed green anti-vandal switch
    Custom Covertec wheel
    Plecter Labs Petit Crouton - U
    Madcow/Xusia's Shatterpoint/Master Windu
    LEDengin 5W green run at 1.5A
    2W 4ohm Altec Lansing speaker

Pics:

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0pt58-1J_Q

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

whoa. nice!

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Another fantastic original saber. the emitter piece looks especially nice, you did nail the lightly weathered look too.
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

Jedi_Knight_Zekk

I am SO jealous! Wonderful saber dude!

The raised grip/ridge/spine absolutely takes it to a whole nother level. Definitely a deadly but elegant weapon. Too good mate, too good.
    "The Sith grew past the use of lightsabers. But we continue to use them, if only to humiliate the Jedi."―Darth Sidious

Love the idea of a finger grip section and the lite weathering came out amazing! Awesome saber.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Thanks guys!

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

What can I say that hasnt been said about VV. . I love how its just far enough outside the box to be unique.. yet so functional in its design it just screams.. Weapon.. 5.75/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Gin Malinko View Post
    just an added note on this.
    I vote dgdve as the site's motivational speaker. haha
    "Yes Lord Vader, and I too have a gift... for you.."

"There is no good or evil, no black or white.. There is only.. Perspective"

Now that is some serious cram fu all wrapped in gorgeousness. My only complaint is the covertec wheel seems to stick out too much and maybe a d ring would have looked better, but otherwise pure awesomeness. I love the grip bar.

Council Member
    Jedi Master

The covertec looks smaller in person and doesn't get in the way at all. I hate D-rings. A lot. I tolerate them on OT sabers, but that's it.

Thanks for the compliments.

GET LATHED!