Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Check on first build needed.

Default Check on first build needed.

Hi all,

Just about to place an order for a very basic stunt saber based on lukes ROTJ. As i'm a noob I wanted to check i havent missed anything, in paticular the electrics.

HILT:

Hilt style 1 (standard switch hole)
    MHS Ribbed extension
    MHS Pommel Style 3V1
    Blade Holder Style 8
    MPS insert 1
    8-32 X 1/2" Thumb screw
    MPS Clip

Electrics:

Luxeon Rebel Star Blue
    Luxeon Rebel Lens Holder
    Buck Puck 700mA 4 wire
    Luxeon Collimator Lens 8.7 Angle
    4AAA Battery Holder
    Push on/off Switch.
    Blade.

Thank's in advance for your input

Jedi Padawan
    Jedi Padawan

Looks good so far. A couple of questions though; Are you going to use Akaline or rechargeable batteries? Are you going to hang it from your belt? If so you'll want a Cover Tec or a D ring. You'll need to ensure that your switch is latching and you'll probably want to go with a thick walled battle blade. Shouls look good on camera...

Knowledge must be balanced by Practice.
    Practice must be balanced by Experience.
    Through Knowledge, Practice, and Experience
    we gain Wisdom.

-Boj-Vaati Mau
    Jedi Sentinel, Jar'Kai practitioner,
    and Instctor at Strafe Plains Temple

Saber Guild: Strafe Plains Temple
    The Rebel Legion

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Since the stars that the Rebel LEDs sit on are a bit thinner, it's also recommended to get a heat sink shim to keep the lens assembly from rattling, but it must be out of stock right now, since I don't see it in the Store. I just ordered one of those last week.

I also recommend this switch:
    http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/SP...utton-P44.aspx
    Even though it's called a momentary, it actually latches. The advantage, over the other push on-push off switch, is that your LED won't turn off briefly if you bump the switch.

These are the ones I use, and I was the one who asked Tim to carry them.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Quote Originally Posted by Boj-Vaati Mau View Post
    Looks good so far. A couple of questions though; Are you going to use Akaline or rechargeable batteries? Are you going to hang it from your belt? If so you'll want a Cover Tec or a D ring. You'll need to ensure that your switch is latching and you'll probably want to go with a thick walled battle blade. Shouls look good on camera...
    Thanks for pointing out the cover tec, with all the thinking about the electrics i completely forgot the practical issue of how i was going to wear the saber lol!
    I'm going for Akaline batteries to avoid the cost of instaling the recharge port as i'm on a limited budget.

Thanks for the help Boj-Vaati Mau

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi-Loreen View Post
    Since the stars that the Rebel LEDs sit on are a bit thinner, it's also recommended to get a heat sink shim to keep the lens assembly from rattling, but it must be out of stock right now, since I don't see it in the Store. I just ordered one of those last week.

I also recommend this switch:
    http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/SP...utton-P44.aspx
    Even though it's called a momentary, it actually latches. The advantage, over the other push on-push off switch, is that your LED won't turn off briefly if you bump the switch.

These are the ones I use, and I was the one who asked Tim to carry them.
    I was wondering if i had the correct switch, thank's for that. Also on the subject of the heat sink i'll add the shim when its in stock, also i think i'll need a thermal tape pad.

Thank's to you both for your assistance

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

The switch you had on your list will work. But the one I linked to is better.

For the reason I already mentioned.
    TCSS MODERATOR

Jedi Knight
    Jedi Knight
    Zama City, Japan, Sol 3, Gould Belt, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster

the shims are under blade holders now for some reason.

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/He...tars-P550.aspx
    CLICK HERE FOR ALL YOUR ECONO SOUND BOARD WIRING DIAGRAM NEEDS!

Duel - to fight someone 1 on 1. Dual - 2 of something in line with each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Multiple People
    To Azmaria listen you should...

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Oh, there they are.

I don't remember looking for them there, when I ordered one.
    TCSS MODERATOR

Quote Originally Posted by Viper1 View Post
    ...I'm going for Akaline batteries to avoid the cost of instaling the recharge port as i'm on a limited budget...
    Yes, but how much is it going to cost to keep replacing the Alkaline batteries every couple of days? I hear this train of thought quite often, but people never stop to think down the road as to the total end cost.

recharge port = $2.50
    4 NiMH rechargeable batteries = $3.56
    NiMH charger = $21.95
    Kill plug = $5.99
    Total = $34.00

Duracell AAA Alkaline batteries = $10.00 for a 20 pack at Walmart.

So you can buy a recharge setup for 34 dollars or you can get about 68 Duracell AAA at Wallmart. That means you can change batteries 17 times. After that, it would have been more cost effective to do the recharge setup. 17 battery changes will last you less than 6 months I would imagine. You can recharge a set of NiMH cells a few hundred times.

Yes, I know you will lose some voltage in the pack and that means your runtime will be less. Also, you lose the ability to just swap out batteries, but in the long run, constantly changing batteries will cost far more than a recharge setup. Just something to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by acerocket View Post
    Yes, but how much is it going to cost to keep replacing the Alkaline batteries every couple of days? I hear this train of thought quite often, but people never stop to think down the road as to the total end cost.

recharge port = $2.50
    4 NiMH rechargeable batteries = $3.56
    NiMH charger = $21.95
    Kill plug = $5.99
    Total = $34.00

Duracell AAA Alkaline batteries = $10.00 for a 20 pack at Walmart.

So you can buy a recharge setup for 34 dollars or you can get about 68 Duracell AAA at Wallmart. That means you can change batteries 17 times. After that, it would have been more cost effective to do the recharge setup. 17 battery changes will last you less than 6 months I would imagine. You can recharge a set of NiMH cells a few hundred times.

Yes, I know you will lose some voltage in the pack and that means your runtime will be less. Also, you lose the ability to just swap out batteries, but in the long run, constantly changing batteries will cost far more than a recharge setup. Just something to think about.
    I understand where you are coming from and i realise that setting up the saber with a recharge port will be more effective in the long run. I was already thinking this when i designed the saber. However there are a couple of things I have to bare in mind.

1) My Budget is pretty much at the limit now.
    2) I live in the Uk and the more expensive the saber the higher my customs charge will be on top of international shipping and slowly it becomes very hard to justify to my wife why im spending so much money on what she see's as a "Toy"
    3) My knowledge of electrics is limited so from a selfish point of view the less work i have to do on the electrics the better.
    4) I think the Uk run on a differnet voltage system so i would need to also buy a converter to make TCSS charger work.
    5) Although this will be a Saber capable of dueling it wont be used that often so I was thinking of picking up just a standard Charger and some rechargable batteries over this side of the pond to keep cost down.

Thank's for pointing it out though. If i go ahead and place an order i may get JQ sabers to sort me out a recharge port etc.
    Last edited by Viper1; 03-12-2011 at 07:38 PM.