Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 10W ledengin Question

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixReborn View Post
    You should be able to rewire the deep red in a different configuration. 10.5V is all 4 dies in series. Each die requires 2.625V. I'd just use 2 18650s, and put the LED in series/parallel configuration. 5.25V @ 1400mA for 2 dies at a time.
    It might be a good idea to read the entire thread before you comment.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Default Maximum Safe Wattage to give a 10W ledengin?

Ok, so I just figured out how to power and wire my recently-recieved Deep Red 10W series ledengin led,(Thanks Sunrider!). I just wanted to triple check that this set up will NOT blow the very expensive led. So, my setup is this: a 14.8V Li-ion battery pack(comprised of 4 14650s and a PCB), a recharge port, a 1000mA BuckPuck, a guarded latching SPST switch, and of course, the led. However, this would give this 10W led 14.8W(P=IV). So, just wanted to quadruple check this will safely overdrive the led. Oh, and btw, the operating voltage is 10.5V, and the operating current is 700mA, and maximum Vf is 13.7V, and maximum current is 1000mA. Thanks bunches!

Why are you starting a new thread with the same questions?
    You'll get the same answers in your first thread.

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I'm merging your 2 threads together.
    TCSS MODERATOR

Sorry mods- got caught up in the heat of the moment of posting! And Raf, by led combo do you mean the four dies?
    Last edited by Master Valon; 03-14-2011 at 05:57 PM.

So I researched buck pucks and forward voltage drops and I only succeeded in confusing myself. Can anyone explain to me how the two are related? On the LEDs data sheet, it said the maximum forward voltage is 13.7V, so wouldn't that mean that with a 1000mA puck, it would receive 13.7W, much exceeding it's rating? Sorry, it's not that I don't trust the information I've recieved from these forums, it's just that it seems counterintuitive to me, and any explanation would be very welcome!

10w is a product name only. If you look at the data sheet you will see 700ma specs and 1000ma specs. LEDs can be under driven as well as over driven. As vf changes so does power consumption when current remains the same.

OOOOOOoooooo! Ok, that makes total sense now! So you are saying that power consumption and Vf are inversely proportional when current is constant, therefore I don't need to worry about the led being fed to much wattage as the Vf gets higher? That does make sense... So P=VI doesn't necessarily apply when driving an led with a Puck?

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

You really only need to worry about voltage and current, with an LED. Get wattage out of your head.
    TCSS MODERATOR