Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 10W ledengin Question

Default 10W ledengin Question

Hey guys I just ordered a Deep Red 10W LED from mouser, and wanted to figure out the best way to feed this very hungry beast of an led. The operating voltage is 10.5V, and operating current is 700mA. Now, I was thinking of getting one 8x AAA holder, one 4x AAA holder, and filling them both with NiMHs, to get a voltage of 14.4 V. Paired with a 700mA Buckpuck, this would give it 10.08W. Now, my question is this: do I wire the two holders in series or parallel? And yes I realize the pack is going to be massive, but I have the cramming down to a tee, so I'm good in that department. I just need advice in wiring. Thanks a bunch!

The parallel pcb is the one to get. It can be wired in several ways and run at lower voltages.

It sounds like you got the series pcb.

In series, if you wired them in parallel their amperage would add instead of voltage. But I have to ask, why so many batteries? With that led and those batteries it could run for 20 hours straight!

Sunrider, I'm afraid it's too late for that, as I already ordered the led and it was the series pcb. At $30 a pop, it would be impractical to get the parallel one. Tanimal, thanks- I never quite understood the difference. And the reason for so many batteries is that I wanted to give the led as much wattage as possible. So now, one more question- when I wire the circuit leads to the positive and neg. terminals on the led, it will give all 4 dies 700mA, and thus output maximum lumens, correct?

It's actually more impractical to use the series one.... as you are finding out.
    That many batteries is going to make one heavy hilt.
    I'm thinking the best way ti go here would be to use Li-Ion.

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

700 ma is the low end of the power input. It can run up to 1000ma but would get hot after a while. I would run it about 1000ma and use as much passive cooling as you can. Air cooling can also be done. Run time is going to be tough without being able to use 18650s. I would try to fit 4 14650 li-ions.

Wait, so are you saying I can run it using a 1000mA 'Puck in conjunction with my massive 14.4V pack, or only with the Li-Ion? Because 1.), I don't trust in my abilities enough yet to make a battery pack, and 2.) If I did use the 14.4V/1000mA setup, that equals 14.4 Watts, which I'm pretty sure is well outside the functional range of this led. I wouldn't even want to use 8 alkalines with the 1000mA 'Puck and give it 12 Watts... So barring a custom Li-ion pack, and taking into consideration the fact that I'm stuck with the series led, is this current setup my best bet? And if it is, will it put out close to maximum lumens?

Maximum lumens would be 1000ma at 11v for 15 watts yes. A li ion pack is the only way too keep the pack size under control.

So giving this 10W led around 15W won't kill it?

Right. Don't be suprised when it's not bright though. The deep red is only half as bright as the normal red.