Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: "Weathering" an MR

use an airbrush,

I DONT KNOW WHAT WE'RE YELLING ABOUT!!....LOUD NOISES!!!
    www.starwarscustoms.bravehost.com

a wipe staining effect like said above would work well. i have done this on other projects, and what i done was use 000 steel wool, and do a turn and draw with it to give the brushed look, just a lil, then do a wipe with a good black paint shot on a rag, and making sure it was just a lil wet still with paint then do the same action as the steel wool, then wipe off excess paint and you got a fairly nice weathered look.

<center></center>

Lan-Ed-Tul
    The Brotherhood Of The Sith

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side...

What kind of paint do you recommend? All I've got at the moment is some cheap $1.00 Wal Mart spray-on enamel which doesn't stick to aluminum.

maybe try a flat black paint, after youve 000 steel wooled it.

flat dries real fast, so youll spray some on a rag, and get a wetspot of it on the rag then wipe it down. then wipe with a clean rag to get off excess. should leave just enough in the tiny scratches to give the weathered look.

<center></center>

Lan-Ed-Tul
    The Brotherhood Of The Sith

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side...

Hey Scrap.
    I think I know the look you're going for, and I reccomend using steel wool very lightly in a test area (only one small spot on the saber at first).
    What you really want to do is get a small bottle of Testors Flat Black model paint (available anywhere), and regular paint thinner (both very inexpensive). Get a small disposable dish or a yogurt cup... and mix 1 part black paint to 3 parts paint thinner. Then apply sparsely with a small paint brush. The end result is perfect "carbon scoring".

MC

You want to go home and re-think your life

Council Member
    Sith Lord

is this the "burt look" you want?
    http://www.fx-sabers.com/forum/index.php?topic=3426.0

At last we will reveal ourselves to the jedi, at last we will have revenge.

Here's some pics of the completed saber.

The idea behind this modification, ultimately, was to make the lightsaber appear as if it had seen its time in battle. I wanted it to look like it's been abused, scorched, dropped in mud, and forgotten for about 20 years.

The pristine look is all well and good, but every other Jedi has a perfectly cleaned and maintained saber. Not me.

I went with a mix between "scorched" and "weathered". AKA, I was afraid to use too much paint in places. Also sanded down sections of the buttons, repainted the control box and ring. I tried to sand down the metal between the grips, but I ended up taking out more chunks of the grip material than the actual metal.

Let me know what ya'll think.

Scrap that is friggin' beautiful! That is great work and great pics.

<center></center>

Council Member
    Sith Lord

hey scrap, that thing is sweet! [:0] only one thing i would suggest is weathering inbeetween the grips more. it seems to me like the top half is 50 years old and the bottom half is 5. just a suggestion though. GREAT WORK![]

At last we will reveal ourselves to the jedi, at last we will have revenge.

I'll probably take some sandpaper to the bottom and see what happens. I'm just afraid of shaving off too much of the grip material, to the point where I might be stripping off glue. It's a tight fit down there.

The silver control box was my biggest worry. Before the top was 'weathered', it looked pretty lame and didn't match the rest of the hilt at all. But it seems to have worked out pretty well.

Founder of Ghetto Sabers (TM).