Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: "Weathering" an MR

Default "Weathering" an MR

So, I'm thinking of taking a butane lighter to my Lux 3 Anakin ROTS in order to give it a well-worn look. Is there anything that I should worry about, or any parts I should avoid heating up, aside from the obvious bits (rubber, plastic, so on)?

I know that metal is a very strong heat conductor. Would there be any risk to my electronics in doing such a thing, even just for a short period of time?

I would not be inclined to heat anything up unless it gutted was first.

<center></center>

Even with the interior parts removed the metal tube conducts heat very well so you might find the grips and other parts melting.[]

<center></center>
    <center><font color="red"><font size="4"><font face="Comic Sans MS">Darth Technous Sith Lord</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="size4"></font id="red"></center>
    <center><font color="red"><font size="4"><font face="Comic Sans MS">Give yourself to the Dark Side</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="size4"></font id="red"></center>

I think one of the problems is that your not dealing with the highest quality saber. There's some paint and plastic and rubber parts on that thing. You might end up with something that looks like a "damaged toy" rather than a "weathered saber."

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I'd try something like aluminum black or how a lot of prop people weather stuff... plain old paint. Put it on a cloth then wipe it off fast. Let it dry.

<center>Read the FAQ or x-wing won't be happy.
    Before posting did you check the Thread Index?.

</center>

Excellent point scorp!
    Maybe you could do a sink pipe cut like the Anakin (Graflex) and then you could do a nice weathered saber that way and then add all of your electronics and grips in after the job.

<center></center>

A simple scotch bright pad can dull the bright chrome and give it a scratched look, I do this with sink tubes to give them a brushed metal look.

<center></center>
    <center><font color="red"><font size="4"><font face="Comic Sans MS">Darth Technous Sith Lord</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="size4"></font id="red"></center>
    <center><font color="red"><font size="4"><font face="Comic Sans MS">Give yourself to the Dark Side</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="size4"></font id="red"></center>

That's probally better then the steel wool that I have been using[B)][]

I was under the impression he was looking for the scorched look like Corbin did on that one saber of his.

<center></center>

You can only do so much with the cheap finish on a MR, once you scratched it the paint to weather it would look better.

<center></center>

Thanks for all the replies, guys. I knew that the TCSS forum is where I should go for people who know what they're talking about.

But yes, I am aiming for the scorched look without any sort of structrual integrity issues. Creative painting application sounds like the best way to go so far.