Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1.25" sink tube cram-fu

Default 1.25" sink tube cram-fu

OK, sorry I've been asking so many questions that have probably been answered 100 times before, but I can't find this anywhere. I'm going to make a sink tube saber with an obi econo board, an 18650 battery, premium speaker, and red rebel star. How short do you think I can get this thing? If you've read my other posts, I'm trying to make a saber out of a horn, and I need to make sure everything will fit in there and be stable. And I'm going to assume no resonating chamber in the tube part. From my guesstimatons, the board and battery are both near 1.75" long, and I figure those can go next to eachother. Then i would think about an inch underneath that for the speaker and wires and such. Then looking at the 1.25" sink tube blade holder, it appears that the whole thing is about 3" long, and the bottom inch over laps the tube, so there's another inch of tube length. So here's my thoughts from bottom to top:
    1" for speaker/wires/switch
    1.75"-2" battery and soundboard
    1" wires/breathing room for heat sink
    2" blade holder with led in it
    So that would be 4" of tube or 6" overall? That sounds really small, but I don't know what else would be taking up space.

an 18650 is longer than 1.75 inches.

it is nominally 6.5cm in length, or 2.6

There are components on top of the obi-wan board, and you have about 3-4mm to work with, given the internal diameter of a 1.25" sinktube is LESS than 1.25". The existing clash sensor sits up pretty tall on that board, and the motion sensor needs to be placed "somewhere"

I'm almost finished with a similar setup for my 6-year old, and given that you must add a Tip42 transistor and a power resistor to your Obi-wan board, I don't see how you're going to get the obiwan board to sit on top of the 18650 and existing within the same length, inside a 1.25" sinktube. I'm putting it all inside a 1" internal diameter tube, so I had to go lengthwise, and that puts the board/transistor/power resistor/18650 at about 5". I could have repositioned the TIP42 transistor and clash sensor to save about .5"

If you can't put the obi board on top, you might look at an anakin or vader 2010 board, which are a little wider, but much shorter.

With no resonance chamber, the 2010 Economy board produces a pretty weak audio output (especially the idle hum). Even with 1.25" resonance in my Cleopatra saber, the hum is still uninspired. That's why folks keep looking around for an easy way to add an audio amp to that board for extra volume.

AK-47s and Lightsabers, both so fun to build

"How short do you think I can get this thing?"

You can get it as short as your skill and need will let you. A skilled smith could make it 6 or 7 inches but do you really want it that short.

As for a horn idk.

I've got the horn figured out, I'm going to use a blesbok horn like this:
    http://www.giraffebone.co.za/images/...0horn/3746.jpg
    The initial opening will be around 2" x1.6", and I'm going to use a sink tube on the inside to make sure its sturdy, I'm just a little worried about how far down I can cram the sink tube. I can bend it a bit or narrow an end to make it go deeper if I need to, but I figure my best solution is just to make the electronics as short as possible. And I've got mad Tetris skills, so hopefully that helps. I'm going to get the exact dimensions of everything and see if I can figure out definitively if those will fit next to eachother or not. I'll be back soon with answers.

Edit: there isn't enough room for the soundboard and 18650 to be side by side in the hilt, but 14670's will fit, barely. Also, since I don't care about the cosmetics of the outside of the sink tube, being that it will be inside the horn, I could either bend it to fit the components or cut into the tube so edges could stick out. I think thats pretty much all I can do until I get some parts in my hands. I'll be back whenever that happens.
    Last edited by Tanimal; 02-25-2011 at 10:55 AM.

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have fit all of your componets in an 8" sinktube hilt, including the bladeholder. I will say however, it took large amounts of patience and time to get to fit just right.
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

Did you have the battery and soundboard next to each other or end to end?

Blog Entries

No, I had the obiwan board stacked on top of a lion 14500 I rePlaced the stck clad sensor and motion sensor. It saved the room I needed to stack the two components.

Ya, it all depends on skill. My Cram-Fu isn't superb, but it has improved since I started. Best of luck!
    -Takanis-
    Simpi-Gon Sims (FX-Sabers Forums)

The big white thing on the obi board is the clash sensor right?

Blog Entries

Yes...