Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: SWTOR Based CF V5 Saber - Heretic

Council Member
    Jedi Master

Default SWTOR Based CF V5 Saber - Heretic

Hello Saberland!

With all the hubbub about the new SWTOR game to soon (hopefully) be released, it is natural that people (including us ) find inspiration in the concept art for the game. Nartules, one of our best customers, contacted us several months ago about creating his very own Crystal Focus powered lightsaber. He had seen a saber in one of the concept shots and made some tweaks to the rear grip design to suit his own desires. Here is the original and modified concept drawings. Full size versions can be viewed at the SWTOR site:

One of the features that stood out the most to us was the very prominent control box. The original design showed light coming from the top, and with the winglets at the front visions of bargraphs and low profile switches began dancing in our heads ;D After careful design on the box to make sure that we could fit everything into the saber to make it functional we went to our resident Acrylic Master, Arkai Halon of Halon Customs. He is responsible for our very sweet stands as well as custom doodads like this awesome box top here. It is made of mirrored acrylic with the center section directly above the bargraph lased off leaving a nice frosted diffused window for the 7 SMD UV LEDs to shine through.

The inside of the box where the winglets are was made to have 2 momentary tactile switches with the plungers poking through. We decided as we got closer to completion that plastic switch plungers had no place in this design. We wanted a more finished classier look. So borrowing (some may say steal, but I won't listen to that crazy talk ) the idea for aluminum switch hats from our Starkiller run (Thanks Ace!) I machined little hats for the the tactile switches so that it finished off the outside of the box. Verrrry niiiiiice

The emitter is also a very obvious feature of the saber. It has large vents around the tapered ring with the windows shaped like trapezoids to help tie in the shape of the box. They are REALLY cool for letting the blade light to shine through.

The rear grip was the main modification the Nartules made from the original design. He changed it from the raised, Vader/Starkiller style black bars to a more streamlined comfy grip of milled strips.

Helping to set off the whole design, we have bonded black chrome powdercoating on the necked area as well as the rear grip slots and emitter grooves. A bit of light weathering was added to the hilt to really make the subtle details of this saber pop, and to give it the "used tool" look rather than a stand queen.

This saber also sports a brand new fresh off the toaster Crystal Focus V5. We couldn't wait to hook up the V5 as it gives us a whole new playground of features to play with. Most visible of those is the new 7 accent LED pads that it sequences. They aren't just pretty either, they're functional now with the new PLI (power level indicator) feature to give you a gauge on the remaining battery life. They also will tell you what font number your on as you're scrolling through the menu. In addition there are also new LED sequence mods for idle and lock-up displays. Other new surprising features of the V5 is the new audio amplifier which delivers a new level of clarity and tone to our lightsabers. All the fonts/boots are SOOO clear and there is even some added bass to everything and still SOOO tight with no distortion audible. The alternate power on/off sounds are also great fun and add some variety to the font itself.

Quick Specs

Custom machined hilt based of SWTOR concept drawing
    Pyramid control box with SMD LED bargraph and tactile switches topped by custom acrylic strip
    Heavy vented emitter
    7 segment UV SMD LED bargraph
    Bonded Black Chrome Powder coating
    Light weathering
    Crystal Focus Sabercore Version 5
    10 Watt LEDengin RGBW mixed for OSPPŠ
    Green and White dice set for FOC (Flash on Clash
    7.4v LiMn battery pack with recessed in hilt recharge.

Pics:

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D8S9ZkA4eA

If you're new, please take the time we all consider just as precious as you and READ!

GET LATHED!

Official BMF and LORD OF THE STRINGS

Blog Entries

i hate you... that is so darn sick i think i caught pneumonia just by looking at it. i bow to your skills.

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I don't like the design at all, sorry, but it looks like an exhaust pipe with glowiness....

However, I do appreciate all the time, skill, and ingenuity that went into it, and for that Fender, I congradulate you.
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

Awesome saber. Love the emitter, PC and weathering... and of course the CFv5.

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...0Saber%20Hilts

From Wikipedia: "Internet Explorer slows down GIFs if the framerate is 20 frames per second or higher and Microsoft reports that Google Chrome and Safari also slow down some GIF animations."

I do not agree that it looks like a exhaust with glowies LOL good job. What I like about a lot of the new sabers, both TCSS and PVC is the originallity, and getting away from the norm. I like it.

Jedi Initiate
    Jedi Initiate
    Blog Entries

it looks like a weapon with a lot of history. ^_^ a very good build. some day i'll be close to that good! ^_^
    Now known as Azmaria Dei
    i really need "meow on clash" mya! =^_^=

duel - to fight someone 1 on 1
    dual - 2 of something in line with each other

Thumbs up

Personally, I love it. 110% of pure BAD@**
    LOCKHEED

aWsoME!!....not one I'd have done nor one I could do nearly as well at this point. The great weathering accents the contour nicely yet nice polished sections to add contrast. I really like the emitter and way to show off the CF5...make me happy!

I love it. I didn't think I would like such a large box. But it looks great and functions. I especially like how it looks old without being dirty or left-in-the-rain.

I agree like it's tarnished more then weathered.