Thread: Horn hilt?

Default Horn hilt?

Has anyone ever this? I haven't seen it at all except for bits and pieces in some peoples sabers, I think it would be pretty awesome to make a saber with the hilt being made entirely from bone or horn. I think i'm going to try it using a blesbok horn, which has an opening of about 2" x 1.5" and is about 13" long. I'm not sure if I could get all the electronics in there, specifically a soundboard from a force action saber. And I would probably do it by filling the horn with resin and then drilling out a hole so a blade holder would fit snugly. Any ideas or suggestion for a noob doing a weird project?

And here's a picture of a blesbok horn, this would look sweet with a red blade.
    http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...1t:429,r:2,s:0
    Last edited by Tanimal; 03-08-2011 at 09:32 AM.

Your best bet would be to find a length of PVC that you can squeeze in there, then use an epoxy putty to stabilize the opening. Then, use a couple of screws to anchor the PVC to both the mouth and further down in the horn. A resin fill of the base would help with weight. After that, build it like a regular saber. A soundboard might be a bit tricky, in there, especially if you want to duel with it, since that will more or less require the resin reinforcement.

Now, if you just want a display, drill a couple of holes in the horn for sound to come out, pop the speaker in the bottom of your PVC tube and only reinforce the mouth. Use the horn as your resonance chamber.

Judge Sabersmith has done some sculptural looking sabers with resin I believe. I did see one made with a bone look but I don't recall who did it. It was like a large fang with a emitter coming out of the root. I'm really not even sure which saber forum I saw it on..lol

Jedi Knight
    Jedi Knight
    Zama City, Japan, Sol 3, Gould Belt, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Chambers View Post
    Judge Sabersmith has done some sculptural looking sabers with resin I believe. I did see one made with a bone look but I don't recall who did it. It was like a large fang with a emitter coming out of the root. I'm really not even sure which saber forum I saw it on..lol
    that was on JSS - he's still working on that one i think.

Madcow posted a Darth Bane saber that looks like bone here. it was sculpted from resin.
    CLICK HERE FOR ALL YOUR ECONO SOUND BOARD WIRING DIAGRAM NEEDS!

Duel - to fight someone 1 on 1. Dual - 2 of something in line with each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Multiple People
    To Azmaria listen you should...

I think Nocturne Armory has done a few as well.

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

umm...wht happened to teh link. i went to access it and got "page not found". any way you can fix this? or can it even *be* fixed.

and scott? i just noticed your sig and i had to say it. they spell it "sabre" across the pond. same as spelling armor "armour". which i think is more correct myself. something about transposing the -er to -re in latin and french words and pronouncing it as "ur". same as acre, massacre, ogre and mediocre. interesting wot?
    Last edited by kage_no_mozaiku; 03-08-2011 at 05:14 AM.

I edited it with a new link. Should work now. And I think thats the point of his sig.

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent