Thread: Possible Help with Jedi costumes

Jedi_Knight_Zekk

Default Possible Help with Jedi costumes

For those of us who are brand new to the world of lightsabers and star wars in general, I'm going to post this threat at risk of being yelled at. This is for those of us who want to make a jedi costume but don't know how. Well, I just recently received a pattern for some costumes from a company called "Simplicity Patterns". This particular pattern clearly shows it's good for a jedi tunic and robe. The pattern seems to be good, minus a few nit picky errors, but they're easy enough to fix. This link will show you what I mean: http://www.simplicity.com/p-2272-mis...-costumes.aspx I apologize in advance if this is an older thing, I just wanted to help.

I have seen those mentioned over at Padawan's Guide,
    but i also heard that you have to pay for them,
    or had to pay for them, since they are discontinued or something...

There are several more accurate examples out there,
    but if you can still get your hands on those patterns, i guesst they would help a bit...

mTm

Official Owner of Skottsaber at Bowling

I believe the best result is using the Discontinued due to C&D order by LFL, which was Simplicity 4450. However you wont find that floating around anywhere, and if you are lucky enough to stumble on one randomly on ebay, they will be at least $100... and may go higher.

This 'can' be modified to work better, however the best place to go is The Padawans Guide website, which has all the details you need to make a jedi costume. Or alternatively, go the 'The Sons of the Suns' or 'Crazy Old Wizards' forums, being the Definitive Anakin and Obi Wan costuming groups.

Jedi Padawan
    Jedi Padawan

How about these? Japanese Haori & Hapi Coats www.folkwear.com/129.html & Tibetan Panel Coat http://www.folkwear.com/118.html? For the coat, you'd just have to extend the length and add a few vents. On the Panel Coat, leave off the side panels and neck band, then, possibly, modify the triangular piece right next to it. You could go the sever route and modify the Kataginu (as I'm doing now) www.folkwear.com/151.html Original costume fabrics discussion on Crazy Old Wizards site (some good images of the fabrics linked out) http://www.crazyoldwizards.com.ar/ww...ric-discussion. You could also go for various linens if you don't want to stick completely to the movie look. There's quite a variation there and in the EU. Have fun!

Knowledge must be balanced by Practice.
    Practice must be balanced by Experience.
    Through Knowledge, Practice, and Experience
    we gain Wisdom.

-Boj-Vaati Mau
    Jedi Sentinel, Jar'Kai practitioner,
    and Instctor at Strafe Plains Temple

Saber Guild: Strafe Plains Temple
    The Rebel Legion

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

It would probably be easier to make a tunic from scratch, than to try and modify one of those to look right.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Jedi Initiate Loachri MacTalabh's Avatar

Thats what I plan on doing. J-Lo's right, those will be hard to modify the shoulder tuck. You'll end up with short sleeves, or skip the tuck all together. I have a couple seamstress's in my family, so I have help to make patterns. Any medium to heavy fabric that you are drawn to will do. If you look close, not all the Jedi's tunics are the same fabric. I like Obi's and Mace's in ROTS. I don't like Anakin's robe in AOTC.

Jedi Padawan
    Jedi Padawan

*shrugs* It all depends on ones skill, experience, and willingness to learn, does it not? Since the Jedi look was heavily influenced by traditional Japanese dress, IMO, it's not a bad place to start.There is a wealth of information out there, and different ways to achieve the end goal, that looking at other designs may help to reach that goal. Not everyone has pattern masters (which is a good thing) on tap to do custom work.

As for modification, there are screen grabs out there that probably show that the basic tunic was modified. Specifically with Mace Windu's costume there is a shot of what very much looks like a seam pulled up over his belt when he's in high guard position. It would indicate that the skirting below the waist is attached rather than one the front and back being a single piece. This would make it easier to flare and attach the skirting after the fact than making the full length pieces hour glass shaped.

It's all open to interetation without being able to go through each piece of each of the costumes to find out a la "Elizabeth's Wardrobe Unlocked". FWIW, YMMV, IDK, NBD.
    Last edited by Boj-Vaati Mau; 02-27-2011 at 01:12 AM.

Knowledge must be balanced by Practice.
    Practice must be balanced by Experience.
    Through Knowledge, Practice, and Experience
    we gain Wisdom.

-Boj-Vaati Mau
    Jedi Sentinel, Jar'Kai practitioner,
    and Instctor at Strafe Plains Temple

Saber Guild: Strafe Plains Temple
    The Rebel Legion

i just finished my robe from the same pattern (minus the cowl around the shoulders) hit up my thread to see what it may look like. i also over sized the hood. the bottom ended up a bit shorter than i wanted too.