Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Battery question

Just an LED FYI.
    1) The Red P4 fiasco isn't over, and from what I know unless there is some announcement from Seoul Semis then I doubt it will be.
    2) Personally I prefer the P4, cheaper too.

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

Jedi Knight
    Jedi Knight
    Zama City, Japan, Sol 3, Gould Belt, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster

i honestly can't say how long it will last in that setup since i haven't drained it completely. most i've used it between charges is half an hour. i should get 134 minutes out of it if my calculations are right though.
    CLICK HERE FOR ALL YOUR ECONO SOUND BOARD WIRING DIAGRAM NEEDS!

Duel - to fight someone 1 on 1. Dual - 2 of something in line with each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Multiple People
    To Azmaria listen you should...

Hey Farmer, why would I not do this. Will it over heat?

Thanks Skottsaber. Already have the rebel in the mail. Maybe I'll do a comarison in the future.
    Last edited by Jedi-Loreen; 02-17-2011 at 03:47 AM.
    ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Waisulee, please don't make 2 posts minutes apart like that. Use the Edit button and just add to your last post. Double Posting is frowned on here, I'm merging your last two posts.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

It's all good. Thanks for the heads up
    ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

Quote Originally Posted by Waisulee View Post
    It's all good. Thanks for the heads up
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi-Loreen View Post
    Waisulee, please don't make 2 posts minutes apart like that. Use the Edit button and just add to your last post. Double Posting is frowned on here, I'm merging your last two posts.
    As J-Lo mentioned, next to the reply with quote button, there is a button for muti quote. example seen above. Oh wait she told you off instead.. Ha ha ha

Mul-ti-quote, use that so people know who you're replying to.

If you use a two battery holder that will have the batteries running in series, this doubles the voltage and will kill the board and led. You could buy two single battery holders so you can, run them in paralelle and still have the batteries removable.
    Last edited by Invisas1979; 02-17-2011 at 06:10 AM.
    Obi-Wan: "If you spent as much time practicing your saber techniques as you did your wit, you'd rival Master Yoda as a swordsman"

Anakin: " I thought I already did"

Obi-Wan: "Only in your mind, my very young apprentice"

From reading her other posts I'm sure she could really tell me off if she wanted to She was just being helpful this time My experience in forums are next to non-existant.
    Is it possible to re-wire the holder? I bought one, just don't wanna waist my money lol I'm sure I've seen other sabers with a battery holder...
    ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

Hey Farmer, why would I not do this. Will it over heat
    Heat isn't your friend here, no, but wiring two protected cells together in parallel with a recharge port at best will only charge one cell, and at worst can explode on you. There are several threads on why this happens and why you shouldn't try it.

Is it possible to re-wire the holder? I bought one, just don't wanna waist my money lol I'm sure I've seen other sabers with a battery holder...
    There are plenty of sabers out there with battery holders. Some use dummy plugs, others use NiMH batteries. Honestly, it sounds like you're just cutting your teeth of electronics and wiring, so your best bet is to keep is very, very simple. You can rewire a battery holder, but IMHO it isn't worth it, especially if you're learning as you go. When I was first starting with electronics, I managed to kill three battery holders while soldering them to a breadboard harness. When it comes to li-ion batteries, the general rule of thumb is that if you need to ask, you probably shouldn't do it. Either it's a bad idea, or you aren't experienced enough to start experimenting.

I'm not trying to be a downer or anything, but I've witnessed first-hand batteries going runaway.

Jedi Knight
    Jedi Knight
    Zama City, Japan, Sol 3, Gould Belt, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster

you can wire as many Li-Ions together as you want and use a recharge port, as long as you only have ONE protection circuit. AKA - if you get protected cells, remove the PCBs on them and use the appropriate PCB for whatever the setup. using 2 protected cells and a recharge port can easily cause charge imbalance, charging cut outs, and explosions. yes a lot of people have done it, but it's dangerous at best and a pipe bomb at worst. have you ever seen lithium exposed to air? that's what happens.

as for rewiring a battery holder, it CAN be done, but it's normally not feasible as the contacts are normally one piece on one end.
    CLICK HERE FOR ALL YOUR ECONO SOUND BOARD WIRING DIAGRAM NEEDS!

Duel - to fight someone 1 on 1. Dual - 2 of something in line with each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Multiple People
    To Azmaria listen you should...

Wow! Thanks for the awesome advice You're right, Farmer. I am new to electronics. Just figured that making lightsabers would be a fun way to learn. And you guys, as well as others, have been very helpful Thanks. I will keep it simple. I'll try not to make a pipe bomb I'll prob just make a simple pack or just use one 18650.
    Ya, I'll prob just use a single 18650 I'll keep researching.
    Thanks again
    Last edited by Waisulee; 02-19-2011 at 04:46 AM.
    ओं मणिपद्मे हूं