Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hi ya'll. New guy here.

Default Hi ya'll. New guy here.

Hi everybody.
    This site is amazing! I was going to just buy a lightsaber, but after spending a couple of weeks going though the posts I'm totally making one
    I have 2 vintage graflex flash tubes. Looking to convert one into a ESB saber. Just bought an Anakin MR sound board that I'll install.
    This site has tons of great info, most of which I think I understand. But just wish to be clear on a few things:
    - MR sound boards are best used with luxeon III LEDs. So the rebels are not advised? Any advice?
    - Do the constant currant LED drivers improve the effect when combined with the MR board? I'm really having a hard time finding clear info on this.
    Thanks.
    Looking forward to being a part of this community. Keep up the great work everyone.
    May the force be with you (gassho)

w
    ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

2 Vintage Graflexes??!??! Man I'm jealous though I have a replica one coming soon..

Rebels will work fine on the MR boards. Not sure about the red rebels though, they may take less voltage than green, for example.

Welcome to the forums, and have fun!

Hey Rafalema, thanks for the reply
    Ya, I've been wanting a graflex for quite a while. Got a great deal on each. That's good to know about the rebel; was thinking on using a blue one.

Cheers, buddy
    ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

Welcome to the forum dude. The red rebels are said to be less bright than the greens and blues. Personally if you're doing a graflex blue has got to be the color of choice.

Good luck
    Obi-Wan: "If you spent as much time practicing your saber techniques as you did your wit, you'd rival Master Yoda as a swordsman"

Anakin: " I thought I already did"

Obi-Wan: "Only in your mind, my very young apprentice"

Jedi Knight
    Jedi Knight
    Zama City, Japan, Sol 3, Gould Belt, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster

welcome!

the MR boards put out ~1000mA so any LED that can handle that is fine - i've heard some people pushing the rebel LEDs to ridiculous heights, so the only one here that i would worry about is the red P4 - that one would need a 1ohm 2W resistor in with it. but you're doing graflexes, so blue it is! ^_^ the rebel blues and cyans are very nice and i'm sure you'll love the colors they produce.

as for the constant current drivers with the MR boards, i don't know of anyone that's done it - the MR board is a driver itself so there's no real need unless you have to have the effects from the board in the store. i would use it more with an econo card or a soundless stunt myself.
    CLICK HERE FOR ALL YOUR ECONO SOUND BOARD WIRING DIAGRAM NEEDS!

Duel - to fight someone 1 on 1. Dual - 2 of something in line with each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Multiple People
    To Azmaria listen you should...

Thanks Invisas. You're right about the blue

W
    ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

Ah thanks, Azmaria.
    Good advice, I was wondering about that No real need to waste my time with the constant current drivers, then
    Trust me guys; I may be a noob but I am a Star Wars purist. There is only one trilogy. Of course it's gunna be blue!! lol It's a frackin' graflex
    But seriously, I really appreciate the advice from you guys.
    My 1st build is gunna be a major project. Was thinking of making a simple chassis to start, update it later with a crystal, maybe :S Can a lighted crystal be added to a MR board.? On the pics (my Anakin hasn't been delivered yet) it didn't seem like it could be added. Maybe on a CF board. Could the wires between the battery and MR board have a simple crystal light source added?? That's not something I've been able to find on the forums.
    Thanks

W
    ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

Jedi Knight
    Jedi Knight
    Zama City, Japan, Sol 3, Gould Belt, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster

if you have a killkey/recharge port, then you can wire any crystal chamber or accent LEDs to come on when you pull the killkey. if you wire it to me main LED out, you'll have to resistor the LED based on a 3.5V 1A output and it can minisculely and unnoticably take away from power to the main LED.
    CLICK HERE FOR ALL YOUR ECONO SOUND BOARD WIRING DIAGRAM NEEDS!

Duel - to fight someone 1 on 1. Dual - 2 of something in line with each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Multiple People
    To Azmaria listen you should...

That's a good point, Azmaria.
    The crystal will no doubt be a later date addition. Still trying to brainstorm the internal configuration. Right off the bat, my graflex will have an Anakin MR sound board, blue rebel LED. I'm still trying to figure out the best battery configuration: will probably use the battery pack/speaker all in one combo sold here; I don't think building a chassis between that and the blade holder will be too difficult.
    And the recharge port is no doubt a good way to go. Wiring it to the main LED out is prob the best option (I'll research that).
    I'm also trying to brainstorm the best ways to wire the internals so that it will allow for easy modifications in the future
    This is gunna be fun trying to figure all this out. Would be easier when I have all my stuff in. Just trying to figure it all out before the actual hands on :S
    ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

Quote Originally Posted by Waisulee View Post
    That's a good point, Azmaria.
    The crystal will no doubt be a later date addition. Still trying to brainstorm the internal configuration. Right off the bat, my graflex will have an Anakin MR sound board, blue rebel LED. I'm still trying to figure out the best battery configuration: will probably use the battery pack/speaker all in one combo sold here; I don't think building a chassis between that and the blade holder will be too difficult.
    And the recharge port is no doubt a good way to go. Wiring it to the main LED out is prob the best option (I'll research that).
    I'm also trying to brainstorm the best ways to wire the internals so that it will allow for easy modifications in the future
    This is gunna be fun trying to figure all this out. Would be easier when I have all my stuff in. Just trying to figure it all out before the actual hands on :S
    If you want to use a 3w led you could use a single 3.7v battery pack attached to a charge port, run directly from the MR board. Easy
    Obi-Wan: "If you spent as much time practicing your saber techniques as you did your wit, you'd rival Master Yoda as a swordsman"

Anakin: " I thought I already did"

Obi-Wan: "Only in your mind, my very young apprentice"