Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: First saber build… mind checking if I missed anything?

Looks like you are going with the second design. In your first design, the choke would have been backwards and you would have had the male thread from the choke and the male thread from the blade holder on top of each other. The reason the choke has the longer section of solid on one end is because it is female threaded on that end. But looks like you are fine now with the second version. You may want to re-evaluate the blade screw. It looks like where you have it now on the first drawing will be beneath the blade stop and into the LED/optic section of the holder. In any case, you will want to move it higher up so you are not at the very bottom edge of the blade.

Acerocket,

Thanks for responding! I've revised the photoshop file so the parts are all going the right way now. I've ordered the parts and asked Tim if he'd drill the holes where they'd work best in his experience.

I've seen other people's designs on the forums but I'm definitely one of those people that need to be hands-on to figure everything out. The forums have been very informative and it's a great community - I appreciate everyone's help in freely giving advice and helping out. I think once I get the parts in hand and start tinkering around, it'll all make sense and my second one will go much smoother.

Thanks again - I'm sure I'll be on here much more once I get all the pieces and start building.

- J

Quote Originally Posted by acerocket View Post
    Looks like you are going with the second design. In your first design, the choke would have been backwards and you would have had the male thread from the choke and the male thread from the blade holder on top of each other. The reason the choke has the longer section of solid on one end is because it is female threaded on that end. But looks like you are fine now with the second version. You may want to re-evaluate the blade screw. It looks like where you have it now on the first drawing will be beneath the blade stop and into the LED/optic section of the holder. In any case, you will want to move it higher up so you are not at the very bottom edge of the blade.

I thought you'd say you're butting the switch in the ribbed section. Are you using the spst mom tactile with the red button or the spdt momentary switch with red button which mounts from the inside and is used with a alumi bezel?
    Obi-Wan: "If you spent as much time practicing your saber techniques as you did your wit, you'd rival Master Yoda as a swordsman"

Anakin: " I thought I already did"

Obi-Wan: "Only in your mind, my very young apprentice"

Invisas1979,

I'm using the red button:
    http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/SP...utton-P42.aspx

- J

Quote Originally Posted by Invisas1979 View Post
    I thought you'd say you're butting the switch in the ribbed section. Are you using the spst mom tactile with the red button or the spdt momentary switch with red button which mounts from the inside and is used with a alumi bezel?

I guessed that one. So tim is drilling the hole, are you going to be using the plastic bezel that comes with or the alumi bezel. Hopefully tim will widen the area as standard so if fits but it might be good to err of the side of caution and double check. Last thing you want is a hole but you cant get the bezel down far enough to secure the switch properly.
    Obi-Wan: "If you spent as much time practicing your saber techniques as you did your wit, you'd rival Master Yoda as a swordsman"

Invisas1979,

Tim's working up a quote for me for the emitter drilling so I'll mention it to him when he gets back to me. I was originally going to use the plastic bezel, but the bezel looks great.

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Sw...-Nut-P270.aspx

Thanks for the advice.

- J

Quote Originally Posted by Invisas1979 View Post
    I guessed that one. So tim is drilling the hole, are you going to be using the plastic bezel that comes with or the alumi bezel. Hopefully tim will widen the area as standard so if fits but it might be good to err of the side of caution and double check. Last thing you want is a hole but you cant get the bezel down far enough to secure the switch properly.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

The plastic one's not really a bezel, it's just a nut.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Jedi Knight
    Jedi Knight
    Zama City, Japan, Sol 3, Gould Belt, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster

i talked to Tim about those earlier - he has none left in stock and is seriously considering discontinuing them altogether since it took so long to sell the first batch.

i'm hoping he decides to get more, but with the popularity of AV switches these days, i'm doubting he will.
    CLICK HERE FOR ALL YOUR ECONO SOUND BOARD WIRING DIAGRAM NEEDS!

Duel - to fight someone 1 on 1. Dual - 2 of something in line with each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Multiple People
    To Azmaria listen you should...

Quote Originally Posted by Azmaria Dei View Post
    i talked to Tim about those earlier - he has none left in stock and is seriously considering discontinuing them altogether since it took so long to sell the first batch.

i'm hoping he decides to get more, but with the popularity of AV switches these days, i'm doubting he will.
    That is a shame, though I just swapped out my spst with a bezel for a av switch. Much nicer IMO

Quote Originally Posted by smdwilliams View Post
    Invisas1979,

Tim's working up a quote for me for the emitter drilling so I'll mention it to him when he gets back to me. I was originally going to use the plastic bezel, but the bezel looks great.

http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Sw...-Nut-P270.aspx

Thanks for the advice.

- J
    If Azmaria is right and Tim isn't restocking that is a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi-Loreen View Post
    The plastic one's not really a bezel, it's just a nut.
    Yeah was struggling to call in a nut for some reason; maybe cause a nut sounds metalic to me...... Ha ha

Metallic? I think not

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent