Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: German Padawani needs some Advice :)

Hey! Well, looks like there are illum. SPST switches :P Didn't even notice! http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/SP...itch-P586.aspx

So to my understanding, I would have to order another service, the "recessed AV switch hole service" to get this to work. There's only 4 connections on that one, that looks a lot easier! And from what I can see, it'd save me some room in the saber.

Another thing, these are all momentary. From what I found it in my little research, doesn't that mean the blade is only lit while I press the button?

I'd like the switch to be lit ONLY when the blade is lit.

Thanks for the help

Stig

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

The momentary switches are only used with certain types of sound boards, like from the cheaper toy Hasbro sabers, you won't use one if you're not using that type of sound board, you still need a latching type of switch. Those are only in the Store as DPDT switches. That's why I completely ignored those momentary switches when making my last post.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Oops! Then I'll have to forget about the illuminated switch because all the latching illum. switches are sold out! Hmm, a shame, but that will make my first build easier, and I will have more time to learn more about electronics! Thanks for the help people!
    Is it okay to post my complete list here later?

After looking through the shop again and looking at some of the diagrams, I've decided to go with a red LED indicator! That I like even more than the Illuminated switch. To get it to light up along with the blade and be turned of while the blade is, I only have to install it "behind" the switch right?
    Also, does anyone know if there is a service for drilling an appropriate hole for the AccLed? http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/Re...tor--P114.aspx

EDIT: After converting the inch dimensions into the for me familiar mm dimensions, I decided to drill myself

Man, all the electronics stuff I learned in school is coming back Suddenly I understand parallel wiring haha

Thanks for the quick relpies and the help, this is a great forum!

Stig

Alright, here's my updated list:

Hilt / Main metal parts:
    -Main Hilt Style 2 (guarded switch hole)
    -MPS Pommel 10
    -MHS Choke 2
    -LED Blade Holder 4
    -MPS Insert 12
    -MPS Clip

Service: Drill & Tap hole for blade ret. screw

Screws:
    -8-32x.3 Black Thumb Screw

Electronics:

-Seoul P4 Kit Green LED / resistor variant
    -SPTS Latching Guarded switch, Red button.
    -RED LED Indicator (Acc.Led2)
    (- Resistor 220 ohm 1/4W)

As for the blade, I'm not sure yet. I was thinking of a lenght of about 30 inches, as I really hate the handling of such longer blades (MR standard for instance)

This is what I thought:
    -TCSS Style Showblade 1" OD / 30" length
    -10° Collimator Lens

I like the TCSS style blade better than the corbin style, is there (as the name suggest) a big difference in Brightness, evenness of the light between the Display blade and the Battle blade?
    I've been looking through the lenses, would the choice of a 10° lens for a 30 inch display blade be right? (Please don't accuse me of laziness, I've read through the tutorials and lens threads, I'm just making sure )

Thanks a lot,

Stig
    Last edited by stig; 02-10-2011 at 04:11 PM.

The blade choice is really personal preference. I've got a tcss show blade and a Corbin style battle blade. Personally I like how the blade looks better with the tcss one. But still it's apples to oranges as the show blades thinner polycarbonate than the battle blade.
    I think there's quite a bit of trial and error with this hobby till you find what you like. I've revised my build many times already. In fact I'm in the process of tearing apart my first build for the third time because I've decided on another way to organize the guts! The more I look at stuff the grander my plans become.
    It's easy to get carried away with all this!

It's easy to get carried away with all this!
    amen dude... That's exactly what I thought!

Say I use a 5 degree lens... I've heard you need to do some modding to make it fit inside the lens holder. Is it that little...knob that's in the way?

Jedi Knight
    Jedi Knight
    Zama City, Japan, Sol 3, Gould Belt, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster

Quote Originally Posted by stig View Post
    amen dude... That's exactly what I thought!

Say I use a 5 degree lens... I've heard you need to do some modding to make it fit inside the lens holder. Is it that little...knob that's in the way?
    nope - the little knob thingy is needed - you need to sand the edges where the holder clips to it just a bit so the lip isn't quite as thick. takes like 20 seconds and is easy.
    CLICK HERE FOR ALL YOUR ECONO SOUND BOARD WIRING DIAGRAM NEEDS!

Duel - to fight someone 1 on 1. Dual - 2 of something in line with each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Multiple People
    To Azmaria listen you should...

Okay thanks! Alright. I'm getting more and more confused with blades. Everybody seems to have a different opinion.
    What I want is a 30" blade, Green P4, that is bright and evenly lit, what blade / lens would you recommend?

Stig

Jedi Knight
    Jedi Knight

for a 30" blade? either the 5 degree or 8.7 degree lens and probably the TCSS blade if you want pre-made blades.

8,7? Isn't 10 the right choice? I thought I read something in the lens thread that if you're using a thin walled blade under 35" to use a 10° lens. Just askin', since only 5° and 10° is selectable in the kit

Jedi Knight
    Jedi Knight

it all really comes down to personal preference. if you go to this thread then you'll get some good info on lens degrees as well. http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...g-lens-degrees