Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Resin hilts?

Default Resin hilts?

I was wondering if anyone here ever has, or knows how to make a hilt out of resin? I have an idea for a hilt I would like to try, I just have no idea on how to make the mold for the hilt. I understand the concept of makeing the mold, I just need to figure out how to make it hollow for electronics & a blade. Thank you.

I can think of a couple methods off the top of my head. First, you could insert a tube into the center of the mold to keep an empty space. Second, you could make the hilt solid and bore out an empty space. Third, you could assemble all the electronic components and then embed them directly in a solid piece of resin.

The third option isn't particularly good if you ever need to work on the saber, change batteries, etc.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Not to mention heat management...

mTm

Official Owner of Skottsaber at Bowling

You can always use fiberglass cloth and apply it to each side of the mold, then put the mold together and using a long thin rod and unfold the edges onto the other side.

Jedi Initiate Loachri MacTalabh's Avatar

My question is, How strong is resin? I mean if you drop your saber by accident, will it crack or break?

Quote Originally Posted by Loachri MacTalabh View Post
    My question is, How strong is resin? I mean if you drop your saber by accident, will it crack or break?
    Most resins will chip and/or shatter. I just broke a very nice custom made resin prop blaster the other day. If you really wanted to make a cool organic looking saber that will take a beating I suggest carving it out of aluminum or Bondo Glass over a metal tube base though both will be difficult to get tiny details into
    -Sidd-

Jedi Initiate Loachri MacTalabh's Avatar

Resin is what the props were made of during filming the saga, although probably a special new resin.

Thanks for all the replies. I figure when it comes time for me to actually tactle this project, have to do a little trial & error. I've been thinking of a tube in the center of the mold. I think that would be the best way. I like the idea of boring it out, I just don't the tools to do that properly. This saber is going to be a display piece.

Keep in mind that "resin" is a generic term. There are a bunch of different resin materials, including acrylics, polyesters, urethanes, and epoxies. Most acrylics do tend to be brittle, but there may be other options. Of course, choice of material is also going to be linked at least somewhat to what method you intend to use for molding.

About what 5ish years ago, they had heiland flash shrouds in the store made out of polyurethane resin if I remember, it's held up to some rough abuse on my part. It's not hard as acrylic, it kinda bends a bit, but it hasn't chipped or cracked anywhere.

I've done some acrylic resin casting, and that stuff's pretty brittle, and some cold casting (Mixing metal powder with resin) personally, if you're making a display piece I'd check out cold casting.