Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: The TCSS Saberbuilding Contest - 2011

All I have to say is that Praxis & Blood Wyrm are some serious sabers. The craftsmanship in both of them are insane. WOW!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Midian View Post
    All I have to say is that Praxis & Blood Wyrm are some serious sabers. The craftsmanship in both of them are insane. WOW!!!
    While I completely agree I do find it weird how far off in the lead they are. Makes me wonder how people vote. Best overall or personal fav. I'm pretty sure I can tell who most of the builds are. There's only a few I'm not sure of. I can't wait to ask questions after.

Is there ever a lot of deep red LEDs!
    Last edited by Crystal Chambers; 05-24-2011 at 05:44 PM.

well, there's about 16-17 hours of "1st round" voting time left (I think)..

and yes there are a good proportion of sithy sabers on there with deep red 5W LEDs

BTW, did anyone ever make a decision about having an informal run-off of the MHS based sabers on their own?
    LOCKHEED

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by cannibal869 View Post
    BTW, did anyone ever make a decision about having an informal run-off of the MHS based sabers on their own?
    Not yet, that I'm aware of.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Council Member
    Sith Lord

It wouldn't work. The max number of entries per poll is 10. That's why there are two polls, actually. We have 13 MHS builds. Just by looking at the results from the current polls you can get a good picture of what sabers place where.
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

Absolutely awesome effort to all who participated, I can't wait to see individual threads in the gallery posted with vids and all. Love'm all!
    "The Sith grew past the use of lightsabers. But we continue to use them, if only to humiliate the Jedi."―Darth Sidious

The contest thread gets lost in the forum pretty easily. Especially since I never look in the Misc section unless a title catches my eye. Since it is an image based thread wouldn't it have been better in the gallery? I think we may have more entries and voters if it was promoted more. A TCSS store news letter to your email, as well as a bold banner that would get as much attention as new store items would be a good idea IMO. I hope we can do this bigger and better next year.

Jedi Padawan
    Jedi Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Chambers View Post
    While I completely agree I do find it weird how far off in the lead they are. Makes me wonder how people vote. Best overall or personal fav. I'm pretty sure I can tell who most of the builds are. There's only a few I'm not sure of. I can't wait to ask questions after.

Is there ever a lot of deep red LEDs!
    I know the way I voted was by personal favourites, what to me makes it a saber, and what it's functionality would be in a fight. I lean toward that over what I see as ceremonial or art pieces. FWIW, YMWV, IMO.

Knowledge must be balanced by Practice.
    Practice must be balanced by Experience.
    Through Knowledge, Practice, and Experience
    we gain Wisdom.

-Boj-Vaati Mau
    Jedi Sentinel, Jar'Kai practitioner,
    and Instctor at Strafe Plains Temple

Saber Guild: Strafe Plains Temple
    The Rebel Legion

I personally voted based on how difficult or technically complex the sabers were. While the style on some of them didn't necessarily appeal to me, I looked more towards the skill needed to design and build the saber. While I couldn't see myself carrying one of the custom entries with a Star Wars costume, I can definitely appreciate the work and effort that went into them. All three customs have their own charm and beauty, even though none of them match my personal taste in lightsabers.
    We all have to start somewhere. The journey is all the more impressive by our humble beginnings.

http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz for the lazy man's resistor calculator!
    http://forums.thecustomsabershop.com...e-to-Ohm-s-Law for getting resistor values the right way!

Style of a hilt can be a difficult thing as well. Balance , Flow, consistency, contrast, etc. Aesthetics and technical complexity are two very different but important skills. You can add the whole technical check list and it won't necessarily be nice to look at or comfortable to wield.

Personally I go for style and function since anything else seem to be something beyond the movies that inspire us. For me this is the foundation and anything in addition is just that. I have a LOT of appreciation for the variety of work shown in sabers posted on the forums, just my personal preferences. Even if something has it all doesn't mean it'll get my vote if it doesn't appeal to me personally.
    Last edited by Crystal Chambers; 05-25-2011 at 06:32 AM.