Thread: Which one? P4 or Rebel star?

Default Which one? P4 or Rebel star?

Hey, I was wondering- I am planning on making a Sith saber with 4x AAA Ni-MHs and a Maul FX board. So, 2 questions- 1.) which led should I get, a P4 or rebel star, and 2.) for whichever I should use, could I run the led directly off my board? I've read the threads on P4s vs. Lux IIIs, and it sounded like if I went with a P4, I would need a buckpuck as well? If I did, how would that work? Thanks a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Master Valon View Post
    1.) which led should I get, a P4 or rebel star? I'd go with a P4, it's just...better than the rebel.

2.) for whichever I should use, could I run the led directly off my board? I've read the threads on P4s vs. Lux IIIs, and it sounded like if I went with a P4, I would need a buckpuck as well? If I did, how would that work? You're right, if you go with a P4 you'll need either a 2.7 ohm 2 watt resistor or a 1000ma buckpuck. (Correct me if I'm wrong-I've heard red P4s can handle up to 1000ma without blowing up.)
    Hope this helped.
    Two there should be. No more. No less. One to embody the power, the other to crave it. -Darth Bane
    If a Luxeon III gets hot enough to melt...[hot]glue, something's wrong with your wiring! -Jay Gon Jinn

Ok cool thanks a lot, I'll go with the P4 then. Are there wiring diagrams for this kind of setup?

Jedi Knight
    Jedi Knight
    Zama City, Japan, Sol 3, Gould Belt, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster

i would go with the P4 as well. as for running it directly off of the MR/FX board, it puts out 3.5V @1000mA, so you need to base your resistor calculations off of that, which will give you 1 ohm 2 watts for your resistor value. as for running a buckpuck off of it, that's both overkill and a bad idea. the buckpuck (a constant current driver) needs 5V minimum and the MR board (also a constant current driver) will underdrive it like crazy, which is bad. on top of that, you really can't have 2 constant current drivers stringed together like that. and even further, some people have blown the P4 red with 1000mA...

sooo.... you either use a red or red/orange rebel at full power off of the MR/FX board, or use a red P4 with a 1 ohm 2 watt resistor. (and besides that, a buckpuck is just adding extra cost you don't need anyway)

as for wiring diagrams, there's a stickied topic in the schematics and wiring diagrams area with all the MR/FX boards in it.
    CLICK HERE FOR ALL YOUR ECONO SOUND BOARD WIRING DIAGRAM NEEDS!

Duel - to fight someone 1 on 1. Dual - 2 of something in line with each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Multiple People
    To Azmaria listen you should...

*Wipes sweat off brow* Wheew! Thanks a lot, I was kind of freaking out at the prospect of that nightmare of a wiring diagram involving an MR board AND a buckpuck! So the 1 ohm 2 watt resistor would just be wired in between the P4 and the board on the positive side?

Quote Originally Posted by Master Valon View Post
    So the 1 ohm 2 watt resistor would just be wired in between the P4 and the board on the positive side?
    Resistors can be wired in either the positive or negative side. I have a habit of wiring mine in the positive side, but that's just personal preference; you can put it on whichever side you want.
    Two there should be. No more. No less. One to embody the power, the other to crave it. -Darth Bane
    If a Luxeon III gets hot enough to melt...[hot]glue, something's wrong with your wiring! -Jay Gon Jinn

Jedi Knight
    Jedi Knight
    Zama City, Japan, Sol 3, Gould Belt, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster

i tend to put mine on the positive side too, but yeah it doesn't really matter.
    CLICK HERE FOR ALL YOUR ECONO SOUND BOARD WIRING DIAGRAM NEEDS!

Duel - to fight someone 1 on 1. Dual - 2 of something in line with each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Multiple People
    To Azmaria listen you should...