Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Jolt-proofing batteries. I needz it!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I very rarely use spring batt packs anymore due to the problems with them. A saber that is used to duel with or swing around is not a good application for a spring batt pack.

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

Sigh... For about the millionth time in process of building my first saber, I'm going to mentally file that under "Things I Wish I Knew a Month Ago."
    "It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward." - The White Queen - Through the Looking Glass
    "Wherever there are three people, there must be one that can be my teacher." - Confucius - Analects (7:22)
    "Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light." - John Milton - Paradise Lost
    "People that litter their online signatures with literary quotes are just pointlessly pretentious." - Me

Velcro cable ties wrapped around the pack makes the batteries stay in place, and also makes it fit inside the handle snugly. It is very easy to re-apply after a battery change. And you can rig up a string or ribbon for easy extraction from the hilt. For about $7.00/100 (amazon), it's hard to beat.

I think this is the best reason of all for using rechargeables with in-hilt recharging. That way you can just solder all the batteries together, and shrink wrap the whole pack so they'll never get an interrupted connection no matter how hard they get rattled around.

I tried using a spring style battery pack once, on the first saber I built... and that attempt lasted all of about 5 minutes before all the problems with it made me yank out the batteries and just solder them together.

Jedi Knight
    Jedi Knight
    Zama City, Japan, Sol 3, Gould Belt, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster

i have a couple spring battery packs i use for testing and such. nothing more than that.
    CLICK HERE FOR ALL YOUR ECONO SOUND BOARD WIRING DIAGRAM NEEDS!

Duel - to fight someone 1 on 1. Dual - 2 of something in line with each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Multiple People
    To Azmaria listen you should...

This is a catchy song you are all singing. Let me see if I've got the lyrics down yet.

Battery packs may be nice
    For testing, demonstrations, and stuff
    When it comes to dueling,
    They're really not that tough.

Lithium ion and a recharge port
    Are much better than the packs.
    Power gets shut off,
    If the saber gets too many whacks.

Is that the right song I'm singing?
    "It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward." - The White Queen - Through the Looking Glass
    "Wherever there are three people, there must be one that can be my teacher." - Confucius - Analects (7:22)
    "Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light." - John Milton - Paradise Lost
    "People that litter their online signatures with literary quotes are just pointlessly pretentious." - Me

Jedi Knight
    Jedi Knight
    Zama City, Japan, Sol 3, Gould Belt, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster

you need a NiMH verse. soldering them in with a recharge port is nice too since there's so much out there that loves the 4.8V that a 4xAAA pack can give you.

i still prefer Li-Ions myself though. ^_^ but for a couple sabers later on down the road i do need to put NiMH in them.
    CLICK HERE FOR ALL YOUR ECONO SOUND BOARD WIRING DIAGRAM NEEDS!

Duel - to fight someone 1 on 1. Dual - 2 of something in line with each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Multiple People
    To Azmaria listen you should...

Make it rhyme. And put it to the tune of the TCSS theme song.

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

Spring-pack battery setups CAN be made to work without them constantly losing contact... but it's pretty tough, as you have to be really savvy--and it's best to use packs where the springs are really tight & strong.

Sadly, most spring-loaded battery housings are very "el cheapo"; since they aren't even MEANT to be bashed into other objects (lol). Over all the years that I've messed with sabers, the only packs that I ever saw which had really tight springs... were the custom ones on FX sabers, and of course Yoda's Graflexes.

So, it CAN be done... but a lot of logistics/consideration has to come into play.

Using rechargeable cells that are "soldered in" to the circuitry solves this problem all in one fell swoop.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Seriously? I spent a whole 60-seconds to come up with a masterpiece of lyricism to rival those of Paul Simon, John Lennon, and Tom Waits, and you all want more?! I can't work under these conditions!

On a more serious note, Li-Ion it shall be for me, when I put in the new switch, driver board, and possibly a P4 to be able to handle over 1000mA when it does the clashy thing.