Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Black chrome 2 layer PC

Default Black chrome 2 layer PC

I've been reading through the boards and couldn't find an answer. I'm thinking about using the black chrome on part of my saber. In the color description it's listed as a semi transparent. I was curious if it's possible to do a base coat of a solid color under the black chrome that would show through?

If I'm understanding it correctly it would mute the base color and from certain angles look black. I've tried looking around the internet for an example but haven't had any luck.

Thoughts?

Edited to delete misinformation.
    Last edited by Skottsaber; 05-24-2011 at 04:06 AM.

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

Thanks for the info. I've not dealt with powder coating.

Quote Originally Posted by Skottsaber View Post
    You can't PC something twice.
    If I'm right it would just make a gloppy mess on your parts.

Its hard even to powder coat a piece in 2 different places in 2 different colors.
    I don't think that's entirely correct. I don't know about "all PC," but with the PC I've worked with, it is a thermoset. This means that once it's been heated up and melted together, it will not re-melt when re-heated. This is as opposed to thermoplastic, which remelts everytime it is reheated. (This, btw, is essentially the reason some plastics are recyclable and others are not. Thermoplastic can be melted down and reused. Thermoset cannot.) As far as I know, PC is not made of thermoplastic - though maybe there are exceptions.

I do know from experience that you can coat a part more than once - I've done parts 3 and 4 times without a "gloppy mess," although the surface finish definitely can suffer, especially if your application is not even.

Those who have earned the right to boast have no need to.

Are there any other suggestions someone could make to replicate this effect? I used to do some wood staining. With certain stains doing two different colors, adding black to the lacquer or doing a white wash would give the effect I'm looking for. I haven't used metal as a medium for painting, other than some Rustoleum on some deck furniture.

Use regular paint and clearcoat bake it or something.

Seems you are going for a 2 tone chameleon effect (in this case red/black i beleive).
    Corbin_Das: If I got a tattoo below my waist, it'd say "Found someone you have I would say, hmmmm?"

Quote Originally Posted by Ronan View Post
    Use regular paint and clearcoat bake it or something.

Seems you are going for a 2 tone chameleon effect (in this case red/black i beleive).

That's the look I'm going for. I just couldn't figure out how to type it. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mack View Post
    That's the look I'm going for. I just couldn't figure out how to type it. Thank you.
    NP,if you are going to paint it, get some automotive grade paint, and a good clearcoat.
    Corbin_Das: If I got a tattoo below my waist, it'd say "Found someone you have I would say, hmmmm?"

Quote Originally Posted by Skottsaber View Post
    You can't PC something twice.
    If I'm right it would just make a gloppy mess on your parts.

Its hard even to powder coat a piece in 2 different places in 2 different colors.
    Actually your incorrect. You can PC over PC. Trans colors are intended to have a chrome basecoat, so yes you can do multiple layers.
    Aurum Solis on the FXsabers forum

"There is no such thing as luck..."

I've been told by a guy who does powder here in town that three applications are pretty much the limit. After that it starts to crack.