Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 2002 Anakin AOTC - EPII

Default Repaired and ALMOST working... Advice?

Hi, All. I have one of these AOTC Anakin sabers, and one of the kids friends took it upon themselves to WHACK something with it, and broke the blade at the hilt. Much cursing ensued, but I was able to take everything apart and cut off the blade at the break, then re-drill it, etc, and although the blade is now 4" shorter, everything still worked.

UNTIL

I was putting it all back together. Somehow I knocked a diode loose from the sound board. I could solder it back on if I knew WHERE IT GOES!

Can anyone upload, email, or PM me a picture of both sides of their sound board so I can see where the diode goes to replace it.

Much appreciation for any help!

-Jim

Default Re: Repaired and ALMOST working... Advice?

Quote Originally Posted by jwhowa
    Hi, All. I have one of these AOTC Anakin sabers, and one of the kids friends took it upon themselves to WHACK something with it, and broke the blade at the hilt. Much cursing ensued, but I was able to take everything apart and cut off the blade at the break, then re-drill it, etc, and although the blade is now 4" shorter, everything still worked.

UNTIL

I was putting it all back together. Somehow I knocked a diode loose from the sound board. I could solder it back on if I knew WHERE IT GOES!

Can anyone upload, email, or PM me a picture of both sides of their sound board so I can see where the diode goes to replace it.

Much appreciation for any help!

-Jim
    That's a heck of a whack! My blade got bent to a 90 degree angle and still stayed whole and lit! (albeit mighty creased and funky looking :)

Sadly my Annakin is ROTS (not to mention I just got the darn thing together again :) so I have no pics, but the vast majority of components are on one side so you should be able to see the holes or the broken pins where it came from... or the empty pads if it's surface mount with little bits of solder still stuck to it.

Default Pictures of the sad sad board...

Oh, in case it helps... Here are pics of the front and back of the sound board, and the offending little diode!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jwhowa/2074261631/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jwhowa/2074261629/

Council Member
    Sith Lord

That's not the sound board...
    Aluke123 on every other forum - Old grumpy moderator here

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

Well, the speaker is connected to it... And if it isn't the sound board, it *is* the board that the diode popped off of... So still if anyone recognizes it... Help!

Thats not a diode, its a resistor. In the pics, the 2 black parts are diodes. The part that was knocked off was a resistor, but I cant quit tell wich one. On the reverse side you see a spot that says R1 wich means resistor 1. Notice how theres no resistor there?

A problem I forsee with this is that I dont know wich side is + or -. Do you have a multi meter? Also, I think it might be easier to just put in a new resistor, rather than using an old one, you would have to do this by buying a pack at Radio Shack (or other electronics store) and finding out wich one you need.

To do this, look on the resistor that was knocked off. There shoudl be 4 colored bands. One side should have a gold band. To read a resistor, take the first two bands and those are your two digits. Use the chart I determined to figure this out. If my resistor went RED GREEN ORANGE GOLD and using the chart below, my first 2 digits would be 25. The orange means how many zeros you add, so since its orange it would be
    1000, wich makes my resistor a 25000 ohm resistor.

Before you could solder it back on, you need to know wich pad non your piece is + and -. After that, the gold band goes on positive and colored ban goes on negative.

Hope this helps.

Blue 4 "Im hit!"

Council Member
    Sith Lord

Ti El, that is a diode, and resistors don't have polarity. You can put them on either way.

Thread Index, The Saber Building Dictionary, and The Basic Saber-Build Tutorial - Read Them!

Default Resistor slash diode...

Thanks for the suggestion, I do have a multimeter, and I did check it out, it's a diode. And it meters out good. The R1 holes have always been empty (notice, no solder residue on them) and the diode's leads aren't bent so it couldn't have been in that spot. I also scoured pretty close for tell-tale "breaks" in the solder pads which would show me where that little booger was set before, and I sure can't see any.

I'm just hoping someone will come along who has seen that board before and can tell me where it fits!

Thanks to all for commenting and suggesting. I was so sick when the blade broke, but so happy with myself for fixing it, then so SICK again when it went together and that little diode snapped off. Grr...

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Maul
    Ti El, that is a diode, and resistors don't have polarity. You can put them on either way.
    The ones used in saber making, yes. The ones used in most other electronics no.

As for the "diode" Im almost positive its a resitor, you can see the colored bands on the piece (i think).
    Blue 4 "Im hit!"

Council Member
    Sith Lord

It is a diode. I've worked with them before.