Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Question about MHS Aluminum

Default Question about MHS Aluminum

Hello guys. When I duel with my MHS saber, my hands (and my little boys hands) get black from the Aluminum that rubs off on my hands. Is this residue dangerous at all? Is there anyway of preventing this from doing this other than painting or powder coating it?

Thanks.

AFAIK, as long as you aren't licking it off your hands and ingesting it, it should be safe. I believe there are some polishes you can put on it to help prevent it from rubbing off, but eventually it will happen. Just make sure to wash your hands after dueling and I think you should be safe. The alternative is to get dueling gauntlets, which might not be such a bad idea if you think about it.
    LOCKHEED

its just your own dirt + Aluminum Oxide. same thing in your arm pits at the end of the day. (most deodorants use aluminum oxide in them)

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

However, keep in mind that aluminum oxide has been known to cause cancer in th state of california!
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

you always have the options of paint, powdercoat, and blueing. in my experience the paint works well but will eventually chip, the blueing will still leave residue on your hands, powdercoating is by far your best option imo

Just so you know I used to be a biochemist.

Definately follow the advice of washing your hands throughly after using. Aluminium is well known to accumulate in lymphatic nodes of the body and cause cancer which is why under arm deodorants with aluminium compounds increase your chances of breast cancer (yes males too!).

It's also found to cause plaques (think rotten tissue) in brain tissue and has long been associated with mental disorders especially Alzheimer's disease.

You won't find this information in many places because research that isn't backed by rich companies/corporations etc don't exactly hit main stream news!

This advice is more for softer alloys and pure aluminium itself as they are more likely to degrade thus enter the skin. MHS metal looks fairly tough to me so wouldn't (I think anyway!) be as risky as spraying aluminium compounds under your arm pits or cooking in aluminium pans, eating it etc.

There's also the arguement that there are aluminium compounds found naturally in soil and that we are therefore exposed to small quantities of aluminium anyway. But the aluminium found in nature is bound to larger molecules and is called 'alum' and research shows that this alum cannot pass through the skin.

The body has a natural ability to heal itself and rid itself of toxins and so alum or other aluminium compounds that do enter the body will eventually be excreted as long as the excretion rate exceeds the intake rate.

It is not known how much aluminum is needed to cause a toxic effect and it is likely that different people will require more or less of it depending on genetics, diet, other conditions/health and how much of other toxins may be present in the body.

At the end of the day as long as you don't take in aluminium from any other source and you wash your hands after playing with your lightsabers I wouldn't worry
    Last edited by Palladian; 03-08-2011 at 01:51 AM. Reason: extra stuff

Oh my, I didn't know my MHS saber is deadly. I just had KFC after playing with my lightsaber and I didn't wash my hand before that!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wong Yoon Wei View Post
    Oh my, I didn't know my MHS saber is deadly. I just had KFC after playing with my lightsaber and I didn't wash my hand before that!!!
    Yes, but did you wash your hands after eating the KFC, the grease from KFC is know to cause a build up in bodily fats, so beware. Wash your hands after eating KFC or get fat hands... Ha ha ha

Interesting about the Aluminium but not sure it was worth reviving a thread this old.
    Obi-Wan: "If you spent as much time practicing your saber techniques as you did your wit, you'd rival Master Yoda as a swordsman"

Anakin: " I thought I already did"

Obi-Wan: "Only in your mind, my very young apprentice"

lol, yeah didn't see the date of the thread. Was just browsing and thought I'd add.

You guys have got the right idea really - you can't take life too seriously all the time.

Makes you consider a lot when you are in the medical profession. Makes some people go insane looking into all aspects of their health and they suspect everything.

Just don't get me started on the KFC and your health issue

Quote Originally Posted by Invisas1979 View Post
    Yes, but did you wash your hands after eating the KFC, the grease from KFC is know to cause a build up in bodily fats, so beware. Wash your hands after eating KFC or get fat hands... Ha ha ha

Interesting about the Aluminium but not sure it was worth reviving a thread this old.
    Does licking my hands after eating count? I lick em' really clean, finger lickin' good!!!