Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Accent LED Brightness

Question Accent LED Brightness

I've been testing my parts with a breadboard, and wanted to see how my accent LEDs would light up my milky quartz, which I've heard diffuses light good. When I put my crystal up to my LED, it hardly lighted up. I tried wiring them in series and parallel, and with multiple resistors -- nothing. The LEDs themselves light up fine, but cannot light up my quartz. The dimentions of my milky quartz are about 1.6 inches long and 0.75 inches wide. I tried to light up smaller crystals too, but nothing. It doesn't light up in a light or dark room. A Christmas light lit it up fine, but bulbs, I believe use AC current. Help?
    Two there should be. No more. No less. One to embody the power, the other to crave it. -Darth Bane
    If a Luxeon III gets hot enough to melt...[hot]glue, something's wrong with your wiring! -Jay Gon Jinn

I use lasers to light opaque crystals. For a 1.6 in long crystal you would need 1 laser on each end. I would use a smaller or clearer crystal.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunrider View Post
    I use lasers to light opaque crystals. For a 1.6 in long crystal you would need 1 laser on each end. I would use a smaller or clearer crystal.
    The thing is, I don't have access to lasers or many other crystals, although I have more access to crystals than I do lasers. I've tried with smaller crystals, as in a half inch tall and quarter inch thick. Even those didn't light up.
    Last edited by Darth Enab; 01-12-2011 at 10:20 PM.
    Two there should be. No more. No less. One to embody the power, the other to crave it. -Darth Bane
    If a Luxeon III gets hot enough to melt...[hot]glue, something's wrong with your wiring! -Jay Gon Jinn

can you post up pics of your crystal? also what size led are you using?

if you use two AAA batteries for 3V, any 5mm led should light up bright enough to light up a crystal...
    Last edited by cannibal869; 01-13-2011 at 12:35 AM.
    LOCKHEED

Quote Originally Posted by cannibal869 View Post
    can you post up pics of your crystal? also what size led are you using?

if you use two AAA batteries for 3V, any 5mm led should light up bright enough to light up a crystal...
    I'm using two of the "Red LED Indicators" (the kind with the bezel) sold by the shop powered by 3 NiMH batteries (3.6V) with an 82 ohm 1/4 watt resistor.

I'll have pics up soon.

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

No wonder you're having trouble lighting up your crystal, those LEDs aren't very bright. There are high output LEDs with clear covers that are much better for this. But you'll have to source those yourself.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

I use high output 5mm LEDs to light my crystals and they are bright. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMRluDtTCHI

Live long and...I mean May the force be with you. http://saberconcepts.50.forumer.com/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi-Loreen View Post
    No wonder you're having trouble lighting up your crystal, those LEDs aren't very bright. There are high output LEDs with clear covers that are much better for this. But you'll have to source those yourself.
    Oh, well I guess problem resolved. I'll go out and get a couple other LEDs and save the accent LEDs for another project. *HintHint*

Quote Originally Posted by Rhyen Skytracker View Post
    I use high output 5mm LEDs to light my crystals and they are bright.
    I think I'll try that.
    Last edited by Darth Enab; 01-13-2011 at 12:13 PM.

Jedi Initiate Loachri MacTalabh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sunrider View Post
    What kind of laser are you talking about, the pointer type?

Jedi Knight
    Jedi Knight
    Zama City, Japan, Sol 3, Gould Belt, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster

the accent LEDs here are not that bright - likely so you don't blind yourself with your own saber while dueling. but there's a place called google that can help you find all sorts of them that are really bright. ^_^ and your local electronics store should have some too.
    CLICK HERE FOR ALL YOUR ECONO SOUND BOARD WIRING DIAGRAM NEEDS!

Duel - to fight someone 1 on 1. Dual - 2 of something in line with each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Multiple People
    To Azmaria listen you should...