Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Calvary Custom Sabers’ “LED-Saber Rules of Combat”

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Calvary Custom Sabers’ “LED-Saber Rules of Combat”

Hey guys, I decided I might as well post the rules that I and my students follow when in Saber combat... These are created by me, so I am not saying this is the only way to do it, just the way I like to.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

The Following rules may be altered to each one’s specific needs of Saber combat. Changes must be granted and announced by Ruling Official.

The consequence of breaking any of the following rules shall result in the immediate forfeiture of said duel. A loss will be granted to the offending opponent and a win given to the observant opponent.

Basic Terminology;
    Duel; Combat with two persons only.

Battle; Combat with two or more persons.

Boundaries; A specified area of land in which battles are to take place.

Strike; An offensive attempt to land a hit on an opponent.

Block; A Defensive attempt to keep a hit from landing on the defensive opponent.

Hit; An action in which a Combatant successfully gives a blow to one of the six hit zones.

Hilt; Handle area of a LED-Saber in which the hand grips.

Blade: The illuminated tube of A LED saber. Used to deal hits, strikes, and blocks.

Combatant/Opponent; A person engaged in a duel or Battle.

Thrusting; shall count as any jabbing or poking action that is performed by a combatant.

General Dueling;
    1. Never Duel at 100%. The battle is not life or death, so there is no reason to fight like it.

2. Battle with Honor. Fellow combatants shall show respect in all actions, language, and conduct.

3. Ruling Officials. Ruling Officials shall have the following roles. (a) Enforcing and promoting the general knowledge the rules of “LED-Saber combat” in Battles. (b) Resolving conflicts between two or more opponents. (c) Any arguing or any otherwise expressed disagreement in a disrespectful means shall result in a temporary suspension of said combatant’s dueling privileges to be decided by Ruling Official.

4. Duel Wins and Losses. A Win shall be granted to the combatant giving their opponent a hit to zone 1, 4, or, 2 and 3 combined. The receiving opponent shall be giving a loss and shall immediately leave the boundaries of the battle. Lightsaber(s) shall be left in battle boundaries until battle is completed.

Starting a Battle
    A Battle shall commence upon the announcement of the Ruling Official or upon the consent of all combatants in said battle.

(con’t on Page 2)
    During a Battle
    1. Call Your Own Shots. Combatants shall call hits upon their own persons only.

2. Any Hit Counts. Upon the event of a blade coming in contact with any of the six hit zones, at any force, the strike shall count as a hit.

3. No throwing of the LED Saber. Any time the hilt is released from the combatant’s hand in the direction of an opponent, the said action shall count as a throw.

4. Stay in specified boundaries. Combatant must not place two feet outside specified boundaries. One foot is permissible. The Ruling Official will specify the boundaries the battle shall take place in before the start of the battle.

5. No Thrusting of the LED Saber toward Zone #1. The LED Saber shall never be intentionally thrusted at Zone #1 of an opponent. The violation of this rule shall result in a temporary suspension of said combatant’s dueling privileges to be decided by Ruling Official.

Hit Zones
    Hit zones are zones in which, upon the event of a real battle, the person’s body would be affected accordingly.

Zone #1; this zone includes the area of the head and neck, Strikes and hits to this area are extremely discouraged. A hit to this area results in immediate loss.

Zone #2; This zone includes the Right Arm. Hits to this area result in the loss of use of the right arm.

Zone #3; This zone includes the Left Arm. Hits to this area result in the loss of use of the left arm.

Zone #4; this zone includes the area of the Shoulders, torso and thighs. Hits to this area result in immediate loss.

Zone #5; This zone includes the Right Leg (below the knee). Hits to this area result in the loss of use of the right leg.

Zone #6; This zone includes the Left Leg (below the knee). Hits to this area result in the loss of use of the left leg.
    Last edited by cardcollector; 01-17-2011 at 09:46 AM.
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

Might I add a general rule from my old fencing days (just as a precaution)
    never point your saber (especially if bullet tipped) at the eyes of an opponent.
    LOCKHEED

Those are very close to SCA rules.

Why not the thighs? Seems like a large valid area to hit someone...
    Also, why must the sabers remain in the boundaries?

Other than that, it seems like a sound set of rules.

mTm

Official Owner of Skottsaber at Bowling

Quote Originally Posted by mihunai View Post
    Why not the thighs? Seems like a large valid area to hit someone...
    Also, why must the sabers remain in the boundaries?
    I think there's a bit of confusion about the language, "Hits to this area result in immediate loss." I believe that means if you do get hit there, you lose the fight (rather than receiving a hit to a limb, where you're merely disabled). In other words, it's not saying you aren't allowed to hit your opponent in the thigh.

Ah, now it makes sense.
    Thanks for clearing it up.

mTm

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

My lightsaber group has simpler scoring.

First of all we DO NOT allow head shots, but know that it can happen accidentally from time to time, like if someone ducks into their opponent's swing. However, if you hit someone in the head 3 times in one night, you must sit out the rest of the night, because you are deemed to be having control problems with your saber and therefore, not safe.

2 points of hits against you and you are "dead" and out of the fight and must remove yourself from the field till the battle is over.

Arms and legs count as one 1 point each. This disables you and you can no longer use that limb. A hit on another limb, and you are dead.

Torso hits count as 2 points and instant death.

We play lots of Team games that the members have made up. Keeps things fun and interesting. We have battles till until one team is all dead. The first team that wins 2 battles, wins the game. Sometimes we have to do more than 3 battles, when the last 2 opponents on the field get a double kill on each other.
    In order to see the Light,
    you must sometimes risk the Dark.
    TCSS MODERATOR

BLUE 8 Ready to ROCK and ROLL!

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think those are grea ideas j-lo and cannibal. I will work those into the rules!

mTm,
    I rule that the sabers remain in the boundaries because the sabers aren't damaged, so other combatants would be able to use them in addition to their main saber. It kinda makes it more realistic and fun when you can wield two sabers if another person has died.
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...

Well, i do like dual wielding...

But wouldnt that leave a pile of sabers after a while?
    Would be fun to see though...

It would also be interesting to see someone who's used to an Obi TPM pick up a Vader XD

mTm

Quote Originally Posted by cardcollector View Post
    I rule that the sabers remain in the boundaries because the sabers aren't damaged, so other combatants would be able to use them in addition to their main saber. It kinda makes it more realistic and fun when you can wield two sabers if another person has died.
    That's cool, but how do other people feel about that. I personally don't like other people using my stuff. Music equipment, guitars/ basses, lending dvd's, cd's & lightsabers. Just because I take care of my stuff & people in general treat other peoples stuff with a less respect than they treat their own stuff. I'm not saying that the the people you duel with are like that. I'm just expressing my opinion of that rule, that's all. I've also had bad experiences in the past with people using/ borrowing my things.