Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PCB for 3.7V Li-ion Battery and US 2.5, MR FX ?

Default PCB for 3.7V Li-ion Battery and US 2.5, MR FX ?

Hello The Jedi Lestat here i have some thing to ask. as it is time for me to wr-work my MHS saber

the plan is to use a 3.7V Li-ion Battery with pcb inside. a 2AA bat holder for recharge as my mhs saber is short on space. i have a 4AA bat pack us 2.5 combo in it now but i really need to make it recharge. i have had to we-wire my switch and led way way WAY more then i have wanted to.

what im geting at is can i use the 2AA bat holder to charge the 3.7 Li-ion witout overheating/melting the bat holder?

do i use the TrustFire Protected 3.7V 900mAh 14500 Lithium Battery (2-Pack) or Li-Ion 14500 Rechargeable AA size 3.7V 900mAh?

and the same deal for my mace fx and luke v2 fx but im working on a how im gonna rebuild the inside of those sabers.

Thank You For Your Time
    The Jedi Lestat

"You are a Jedi who never knew what life was until it ran out in a big gush over your lips."

<ARKM> "May you come to the attention of those in authority"

Both of the sabers I posted use a single 3.7 Li-ion and PCB housed in a 2AA holder. It will run the US 2.5 and MR boards for roughly 40 minutes no problem. I haven't fully tested this but it runs as long as I need it and I put it on the charger right after. The bare wires soldered onto the non protected cell are fine. I actually removed the contact from the battery holder so that it acts only as a sled component that attaches to the speaker holder.

I have heard from reputable sources that you can use protested cells with the port and charger and no additional PCB but it won't balance the batteries properly and can loose some runtime in the long run. Despite this it's still recommended.

Otherwise if you use non protected cells then you'll need a PCB to use a recharge port and smart charger.
    Last edited by Crystal Chambers; 08-13-2010 at 05:17 AM.

how do you wire the PCB??? i have had alot of trouble finding a wire diagram or an explanation...
    MAY THE FORCE BE WITH US ALL, ALWAYS....

Jedi Initiate
    Jedi Initiate
    Blog Entries

it depends on the PCB. the diagram that i use for some is posted here. for the rest, they're all marked the same so this diagram still comes in handy.
    Now known as Azmaria Dei
    i really need "meow on clash" mya! =^_^=

duel - to fight someone 1 on 1
    dual - 2 of something in line with each other

Quote Originally Posted by GreeneyedJedi420 View Post
    how do you wire the PCB??? i have had alot of trouble finding a wire diagram or an explanation...
    In general, it's a very simple concept if you think hard on it...

The PCB is nothing more than an "extra driver board". It stands between the battery(ies) and the load/driver board/LED/whatever. It acts as a "gate" or guardian in some ways...

Before any load or driver board can take current from the cells, it has to go through the PCB (the "gate/guardian"). The PCB controls all sorts of things, including protection against overdrain, overcharge, short circuits and so forth.

Additionally, most cells (if bought with a separate or included PCB) come with instructions that show which leads are for what.

Basically, + and - from the cells go to the input leads on the cell(s)... and the output + and - leads go to the load/FX board/CF/US/LED, etc.
    ~~ GREYTALE NOVASTAR (Writer, Director, Choreographer, Sound Designer, Actor, Saber Designer, Vocal Artist)
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP I: "Into The Lion's Den"
    ~~ Balance of Power, EP II: "Ashes of The Phoenix"
    ~~ The Crystal Focus Sound CD Compendiums... are HERE! ~~
    ~~ Nova & Caine's Staged Combat System... comin' SOON!
    ~~ Crystal Focus Wiring Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Chambers View Post
    ... you can use protested cells....
    Protested Cells:
    Attached Images Attached Images

hahahaha RevengeoftheSeth good one

i still dont have the pcb i do plan to instal a recharge port still but its on the back burner tell after x-mas. i am using a TrustFire Protected 3.7V 900mAh 14500 Lithium Battery to run my US2.5 works great but i dont wanna open the saber to change the Battery any more. its so so... idk anoying haha but yeah
    Last edited by thejedilestat; 12-08-2010 at 12:35 AM.

"You are a Jedi who never knew what life was until it ran out in a big gush over your lips."

<ARKM> "May you come to the attention of those in authority"

Jedi Initiate
    Jedi Initiate
    Blog Entries

if you're using a single protected cell, you don't need a PCB - only if you plan on going multi-cell, in which case you'll want to use unprotected cells and a separate PCB to protect the cells in tandem.

with just that single cell, wire in a recharge port and plug it in. ^_^
    Now known as Azmaria Dei
    i really need "meow on clash" mya! =^_^=

duel - to fight someone 1 on 1
    dual - 2 of something in line with each other

Quote Originally Posted by equinox13 View Post
    if you're using a single protected cell, you don't need a PCB - only if you plan on going multi-cell, in which case you'll want to use unprotected cells and a separate PCB to protect the cells in tandem.

with just that single cell, wire in a recharge port and plug it in. ^_^
    LISTEN to that girl, she basically runs everything off 3.7v (protected single cell's)

Lithium Ion laptop batteries have a slightly higher voltage range and generate more heat. My suggestion is to purchase NiMH rechargeables - they are safer in a camera designed for regular AA batteries. You can purchase 4 AA NiMH 2500MAh Energizer batteries and a wall charger for $17-18 at Wal-Mart.
    Last edited by Isidore; 01-13-2011 at 11:07 PM. Reason: best answer