Thread: A question about lense holders

Default A question about lense holders

I am starting an MHS build. Slowly gathering parts as I am on a budget. I have a question though that I couldn't really find a definative answer on. Do you need a lense holder when using a 10W LEDengine LED with the "new style" heatsink? I know you don't need nylon screws to hold the LED to the heatsink as you can use the thermal tape. I see that a holder has been added to the store for this. If needed, what was used before?

I'll post pics today of what I have so far.

Thanks, and yes I did search....

Oh, I have to add that my first three orders thru the store have been awesome, great service!

Jedi Initiate Loachri MacTalabh's Avatar

Yes! You'll need a lens holder. It holds the lens. The lens (depending on collimator lens angle) focuses the light down the length of the blade.

Oh my advice, is to save your $$, then purchase your parts at the same time. You will save hard earned money. Shipping and handling can add up pretty quick.
    Last edited by Loachri MacTalabh; 01-29-2012 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Forgot Advise

There are respected Master sabersmiths who have done without it on the new style MHS bladeholders so its not impossible BUT Strydur has said to use a lens holder even with the new style bladeholders and imo it is always WISE to take Strydur's advice on anything MHS related eh? So basically, if you have to ask...

Just use it.

Thanks for the info. I would love to order everything I need at once but I can't. Hold off on ordering till I have the cash for everything? I wish I could but I'm too compulsive, LoL.

Jedi Initiate Loachri MacTalabh's Avatar

Compulsive buying leads to poor judgment. Poor Judgment leads to wasted money. Wasted Money leads to frustration. Frustration leads to hate. Hate leads to............

Trust me when I say buying compulsively; I wasted about $150-$200. One example, I bought a
    (Sound-Board-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named), and it was junk, instead of waiting for the PC-L to be developed. I'd rather use a VB version 37 (V=voice B=box 37=my age) instead of the (Sound-Board-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named). It never fails.

Lol, no frustration, hate, or wasted money here. I do plan my purchases carefully and buy what I need when I need it. I'm not new to the saber scene. I have built several including a full scratchbuilt chassised Graflex. I just don't usually have all the cash at once.

Here is a quick pick of my Graflex I built years ago.

graf11.jpggraflex8.jpg