Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wanted; Your Opinions On Saber Length.

Jedi Initiate Loachri MacTalabh's Avatar

Post Wanted; Your Opinions On Saber Length.

Turns out my first saber will be 13 1/4" long. Thats sounds a bit long to me(without being a double bladed hilt). What are some of your opinions? My signature is a rendition of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Loachri MacTalabh View Post
    Turns out my first saber will be 13 1/4" long. Thats sounds a bit long to me(without being a double bladed hilt). What are some of your opinions? My signature is a rendition of it.
    Personally, anything over 12" is too long of a hilt for me...even though I am working on a 40" hilt...haha
    _______Through power, I gain victory.
    _________Through victory, my chains are broken.
    ___________The Force shall free me.

My first hilt was over 14", and it's a great spinner and when gripped with two hands, it makes a good dueler.

Jedi Knight
    Jedi Knight
    Zama City, Japan, Sol 3, Gould Belt, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster

my first hilt was almost 15" before i cut it down and made it about 12". it was a bit too long for me, but i also wield it one handed and use sweeping strikes and spins.
    CLICK HERE FOR ALL YOUR ECONO SOUND BOARD WIRING DIAGRAM NEEDS!

Duel - to fight someone 1 on 1. Dual - 2 of something in line with each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Multiple People
    To Azmaria listen you should...

This is how i see saber-lengths:

Long saber (13-15"): 2-hander. For controlled swings. Power comes mostly from you.
    Normal saber (11.5-13"):You can fit two hands on there, but not really a two-hander. For spinning. Power comes from the blade's momentum.
    Short saber (x-11.5"): You just might be able to fit two hands on there, but basically a one-hander. Same as above. Usually used as a Shoto, or for dual wielding.

This rules do not always apply, since the type of blade you use and the internal setup (and the materials of the saber ofcourse)
    all determine the point-of-balance of your saber, which in turn determines how your saber is balanced.

P.O.B. Above you usual hand-placement: Blade/Emitter heavy. Good for spins.
    P.O.B. At your usual hand-placement: Balanced. Not too awkward to spin, but mainly good for control.
    P.O.B. Below your usual hand-placement: Pommel heavy. Good for control.

So basically, the saber length depends on your internal setup and saber material, and whether you want control or spins.

Hope it made sense

mTm
    Last edited by mihunai; 12-29-2010 at 03:59 AM. Reason: Cake. Wait, you're actually reading this? How kind of you. Here's a nice 'n shiny penny for you.

Official Owner of Skottsaber at Bowling

Personally 13.25 is not overly long and if you ask for other opinions I think its not as effective as doing one simple thing. Go get a papertowel tube or maybe some wrapping paper tube(since it was just the holidays.. maybe) cut it down to 13" and grab it where the grips would be... play with it for awhile, toss it on the stand or hold it up to your belt.. then decide.. Everyone will say to big to small.. but its relative.. if your 6'11 maybe 13 or even 14 with the 40" blade just isnt that large for you.. but if your shorter then normal maybe you should do something different.. and its your saber so I say if you like it, 13.25 is perfect(plenty of room for resonance, ask anyone thats 51% of the experience). I hope that helps.

It seems it is all personal preference, thanks everybody.

@mihunai Thanks for the P.O.B. that will help a lot.

@dgdve That is good advice, I will do exactly that.

Interesting topic. I was just about to post a similar question. I've been working on designing a set of Starkiller TFU2 sabres. According to my reference material and working with MHS parts, I was estimating a 14" hilt, which seemed too long, but seemed necessary to include the elements in the reference pics, whilst having enough room for my hand and it not rubbing against the pommel or box.

Personally I would feel better if I could trim it down to 12-13".

The average hand is 4" wide, In this picture Luke's two fists = 8". Looks like there is another 4" from fingers edge to end of Emitter, and 1" or so for the pommel. Lets do the math; Each fist-4"x2=8"+4"(for Emitter)+1.36"(length of MPS Pommel style 3 v2 from store)=13.36". So thinking 13 1/4/" is average length.

Jedi Council Member cardcollector's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The best saber length for you depends on the style of fighting you use...

For example, I use two hands for broad sweeps and for defense. However, I use one hand when fast parrying and blade manipulation takes place. This has led me to enjoy a 10" saber the best, with a 36" blade.

My friend however, uses only his right hand in battle, this lends for a much shorter and lighter hilt. Around 8" and a 32" blade...

My advice is to get some PVC and start swinging it around till you are comfortable with the length of the pipe. Then wrap electrical tape from one end up to where you are comfortable holding it. You should he able to get a fairly accurate comfortable length for your hilt.
    Got a Question? There's a thread for that...
    ~Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.~Teddy Roosevelt

SollusVir everywhere else... FXsabers, Youtube, etc...