Thread: Battery holder mod; looking for input

Default Battery holder mod; looking for input

I've been unable to locate a particular shaped 4x AAA battery holder, where the cells are not stacked in a 2x2 quad, but rather just one level of cells, but arranged two sets of two end to end.

Here's an image of a 4x AA cell holder. It's the shape I'm looking for but needed in AAA. Which I don't think is made anywhere!

So I was thinking that I could modify two 2xAAA holders to be one unit of four cells. Such as my awesome hand drawn diagram!

Is it as simple as I think it is? Would I need to do anything other than yank the leads from one and solder the - from the first holder to the + on the 2nd, and vice versa again for the other 2 cells in each holder?

Or even better, anyone have an easier solution for me? Trying to think of different ways to stack interior components/build sleds and chassis, but I don't really want to change my power supply for this particular build.

really, you dont even need to use the battery packs holders. just make your own. solder four AAA's in series and wrap it in heatshrink. that is, if you are planning on having them be rechargeable.

also as for your diagram, if you plan to make the batteries removable, that is correct, just make sure you cut the connections of the bottom battery pack piece on your drawing. the side where the wires are not on battery packs connect to each other. so make sure they dont connect on the bottom pack of the drawing.
    Last edited by astromech_kuhns; 12-27-2010 at 07:49 PM.
    if you are new these links will get you started

tutorial on ohms law!!!
    the saber building dictionary-a dictionary with basically everything about sabers!
    thread index-this is the thread index!
    the basic saber building tutorial-tutorial for making basic hilts!
    start here if new-start right here if your brand new fresh out of the factory never before opened noob!

Yeah, soldered pack > battery holder any day.
    You can get away with them for stunts, but really for any sound setuip you should have a soldered pack, because on a hard impact the cells may make a miniscule disconnection and your soundboard WON'T like it.

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

agreed with above. rechargeable would be preferable the way you have the batteries illustrated.
    LOCKHEED

I'll definetly be adding a recharge port in further builds, but after so many redesigns already I'm anxious to 'fully complete' my first instead of '...oh I might as well add a soundboard... And a fancy chassis... And an illuminated switch...' and months later I'm still reworking stuff.
    I figure it just gives me an excuse to continue to build after I finish my first project