Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Year of the Rabbit

Default Year of the Rabbit

New Year's cards are an important tradition here in Japan. Last year I sent out "Fos Smilodon" cards to commemorate the year of the tiger. Turns out the year of the tiger was a pretty crappy one for me. This year I thought "rabbit + lightsaber" and immediately thought of my favorite Leporidae warrior, "Usagi Yojimbo." I spent all day today working on this card...and I got the permission of the artist, Stan Sakai, to use the image! Thank you, Stan! I'm so tickled with the result that I thought I'd give a sneak preview here, even though it's still December 28 in Japan. The Japanese is a traditional formal new years' greeting. The Aurek-Besh you can figure out on your own.

May your year of the rabbit kick the derriere of your year of the tiger!
    There's always a bigger fish.

Awesome!
    Yub Yub Commander.

How coincidental.
    Here is an image I made a while ago.

Happy year of the rabbit and good luck on F5-Fu

Click here to learn all about me!
    The Shoutbox: The only place you can double post!
    Anybody who spells it Lightsabre is dyslexic
    "Yeah, if I had Skotts face I'd hit it too" ~ Fenderbender
    "You didn't buy a toy saber just to break it. You bought an economy sound card with a really complicated wrapping scheme." ~ Silver Serpent

What the @#*(&!*(~???
    Hey man, I was born in the year of the tiger! Ain't no little rabbit gonna kick my butt!!

LOL... j/k
    nice card!

-C
    LOCKHEED

Jedi Knight
    Jedi Knight
    Zama City, Japan, Sol 3, Gould Belt, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster

^_^ i'm certainly looking forward to a new year. i do need to find my nearest shrine, though. i can't seem to find one that close to base for some reason...

and thanks for the awesome pic/preview! ^_^
    CLICK HERE FOR ALL YOUR ECONO SOUND BOARD WIRING DIAGRAM NEEDS!

Duel - to fight someone 1 on 1. Dual - 2 of something in line with each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Multiple People
    To Azmaria listen you should...

Order of Year(Oriental Zodiac)
    Mouse, Cow, Tiger, Rabbit, Dragon, Snake, Hose, Sheep, Monkey, Chicken, Dog, Wild Boar.

I was born in year of Chicken.

マットさん、絵もお上手なんですね。マットさんの干支は何ですか?

Thanks, all. Stan liked it, too, and asked me to send him one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Azmaria Dei View Post
    ^_^ i'm certainly looking forward to a new year. i do need to find my nearest shrine, though. i can't seem to find one that close to base for some reason...
    You can't throw a stone in Japan without hitting some sort of shrine or temple. Sometimes they're hidden in the oddest places. What base are you stationed at (if I may ask)?

Quote Originally Posted by RattleHornet View Post
    Order of Year(Oriental Zodiac)
    Mouse, Cow, Tiger, Rabbit, Dragon, Snake, Hose, Sheep, Monkey, Chicken, Dog, Wild Boar.

I was born in year of Chicken.

マットさん、絵もお上手なんですね。マットさんの干支は何ですか?
    Thanks, RattleHornet. But it's not my drawing. The character is Usagi Yojimbo (兎用心棒) by Japanese-American artist Stan Sakai (スタン坂井). Here's the original, which I scanned from a book of Stan's sketches:

I just colored it, erased the katana, and added the lightsabers. (^_^)
    I was born in the year of the snake. 巳年ですよ〜。カノジョにはよく「マット絶対前世ウサギだった」と言われますが。(^o^)
    Last edited by Matt Thorn; 12-27-2010 at 07:15 PM.

Jedi Knight
    Jedi Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Thorn View Post
    Thanks, all. Stan liked it, too, and asked me to send him one.

You can't throw a stone in Japan without hitting some sort of shrine or temple. Sometimes they're hidden in the oddest places. What base are you stationed at (if I may ask)?
    ^_^ it's actually in my profile - Camp Zama. the nearest one i've found is a train station away, though i guess i could check my GPS... it has every shrine, temple, and roadside marker laid out for me. ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Azmaria Dei View Post
    ^_^ it's actually in my profile - Camp Zama. the nearest one i've found is a train station away, though i guess i could check my GPS... it has every shrine, temple, and roadside marker laid out for me. ^_^
    There are six shrines in the Isobe neighborhood, but five are teeny tiny little things inhabited only by foxes, tanuki, tengu, and other spirits. The one you want to visit on New Year's Day is probably Isobe Hachimangu.

Jedi Knight
    Jedi Knight

that's a bit of a walk still... what about here? is this a shrine? it has the little symbol for it and it's right outside the walk through gate.

Shrine here?