Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Graflex conversion questions... and plenty of em

Done.

Now don't forget to go to the Misc. topic here and post some Snitz[]

<center></center>

I got my graflex in the mail today and put it together. Instantly in love.

Now I'm considering just converting a MR. How badly will I have to cut up and gut my new baby?

A mr conversion is not bad just follow the tutorial. If you are thinging of transplanting a mr fx into your new graflex then I would build a couple of other projects first so you are comfortable tackling it. I did a Heiland vintage flash and turned it into a mr Vader saber it is very cool indeed. The pictures of it are here just scroll down to it: http://thecustomsabershop.com/sabers...03&whichpage=2

<center></center>
    <center><font color="red"><font size="4"><font face="Comic Sans MS">Darth Technous Sith Lord</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="size4"></font id="red"></center>
    <center><font color="red"><font size="4"><font face="Comic Sans MS">Give yourself to the Dark Side</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="size4"></font id="red"></center>

Council Member
    Jedi Council Member

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by veers

I got my graflex in the mail today and put it together. Instantly in love.

Now I'm considering just converting a MR. How badly will I have to cut up and gut my new baby?
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Not at all. The blade holder replaces the old guts and slides in. All of the existing stuff can stay on. The only possible thing I can think of that may require any physical changes may be the PLI. You may have to a hole for the wires, but even that would be covered if you snake the wires through the back of the clamp.

Fake edit: Ooo... the speakers. You'll have to drill holes for that. Overall it'd be fairly minor changes.

<center>Read the FAQ or x-wing won't be happy.
    Before posting did you check the Thread Index?.

</center>

So, how does the blade holder and such mount in place of the old guts? I think I may have a repro Graflex, intended for props. The guts currently inside appear to only have 4 tiny screws anywhere, the inside where the bulb would go is a little push-down metal button type thing, and the two red buttons don't actually do anything as far as I can tell. I also can't see where a bulb would sit inside this. Maybe I'm wrong, though.

As long as I don't have to drill or anything for the holder, and it'll hold stabily (I can't see those 4 tiny screws holding a blade and it's holder in while dueling), then I'm fine. It'll only cost me an extra 45 bucks for the driver, maybe 15 for a functioning button, 2.50 for a battery case, and 45 for a sound module... And a used FFX would cost me 50 or so anyway, so it's only about an extra 50 bucks than what I'd need with a FFX, since it would need all the same stuff except a new button, driver, and sound module.

I could also try to put the sound module inside without drilling and see how it sounds until I can find an extra bottom half.

to get an idea, go to the saber pics area, and look up my REAL graflex i put a blue 3 watt lux led and a hasbro sound board in.

depending on which style you want, you can get either a glass eye or red button thumbscrew that will go right where the glass eye is on the graflex, and it screws right in the hole in the holder tim has.

<center></center>

Lan-Ed-Tul
    The Brotherhood Of The Sith

You dont know the POWER, of the dark side...

Well, looking at the pictures, I don't see any noticable differences between my Graflex and the rest. The only things that made me consider the idea that it may be were that:

- the glass eye came with a 2nd red button, instead
    - neither red button appear to push anything, and I took them out and inspected to verify this
    - if you look down into the... barrel?.. There's just a little metal bar sticking out and smooth black platic around it, you can push the metal piece down most of the way into the plastic, like a button, and when you let go it returns, but not far enough to screw in a bulb
    - the piece that does around the bulb/blade at the top is wobbly

I got it as a kit on ebay, for Luke's ESB saber, so it came with all the parts, two red buttons already, and even screwholes for the grips and D-ring.

I'm just wondering how to get the current guts out, how the new ones will stay in, and if everything will function the same if it's a non-functioning repro.

If you remove the screws holding the stock parts in then you can push down on the bulb holder and press it out the the bottom of the top section. If you order Tim's graflex kit then the new holder will slide right in place of the stock one. Also before removing the stock holder unscrew the brass pins in the sides of the flash unit.

<center></center>
    <center><font color="red"><font size="4"><font face="Comic Sans MS">Darth Technous Sith Lord</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="size4"></font id="red"></center>
    <center><font color="red"><font size="4"><font face="Comic Sans MS">Give yourself to the Dark Side</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="size4"></font id="red"></center>

Now, I suppose it's down to TCSS and Graflexshop.com.

I can either go with TCSS's mount, which costs less and has lower shipping (plus, they have the sound module, which I need either way), but the blade set screws are less convenient, and I don't know if I can put the button inside my existing red button or not. Or, I can go with graflexshop's kit, which is more expensive, and they bend you over the TABLE for shipping, but the blade set screw is very convenient and the red button IS the functioning button. But, they don't have the sound module, which I still need.

Hmm...

Pros vs Cons ?
    I think you've got your answer. = <u>TCSS</u>