Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Jordan's first two MHS builds.

Default Jordan's first two MHS builds.

Been on here just about a year, and I just now finished my first MHS builds. I did a few sink tube sabers first to get the basics of soldering and dremmeling down. I've watched closely and stolen a lot of good ideas, I'm sure you can see that in some of the design work. In my rush to get these together I made mistakes, but creative thinking and a little adapting made it all work. Next time I will definitely screw everything together with the optics in place before drilling haha.

Both are using Jedi MR boards powered by 18650 3.7 Li-ions with illuminated anti vandal switches. Both were weathered using aluminum black. I then used flat black spray enamel and sanded it off in key spots to look used. A nice baked on coat of matte clear coat keeps it protected. The aluminum black is pretty nasty stuff, I'll probably just use paint next time. Thanks equinox for mentioning that you got your batteries out of dead laptops, now I have a drawer full of batteries ready to go.

Up first is an Obi inspired saber with a Rebel blue LED. When I first lit it up I was bummed it was such a light blue compared to my MR AOTC obi. I got over that quickly and now I love the cyan like color. I'm using a thick walled trans-white blade with a bit of clear wrapping paper.

Next up is a sith inspired saber running a red P4. The blacking process was way more intense at first, but most of it rubbed off on my hands. Excitement got the best of me and I set it up without a resister, man that was a bright two seconds. I didn't put the heatsink and optics in when I was drilling my switch hole and it ended up being smack dab in the middle of the heatsink. I had to dremmel a bit off for it to fit. With this saber I had an idea to use a radio shack 7 color LED and instead of hooking it up to a momentary switch I'd use the clash sensor to trigger the color changes. Since this board has power going through the sensor leads, that either cancelled out the clash sensor or shorted out the board, turning it off. So I just have it setup to cycle and stay red.

Here's a video showing both:
    http://www.youtube.com/jordandau#p/a/u/0/IOGfIl2FdiU

I like the saber designs and weathering. Very nice. Keep it up.

I'm loving the weathering. I've been wondering if there's a thread on weathering techniques on here. I don't recall running into one. If there is, could someone point me in the right direction. If not, then care to share your technique, Jordandau?

EDIT: Wow! I must be really tired. You did share. Ignore the man behind the curtain. We'll blame it on the eggnog.
    Last edited by Doc B; 12-25-2010 at 12:09 AM.
    "It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward." - The White Queen - Through the Looking Glass
    "Wherever there are three people, there must be one that can be my teacher." - Confucius - Analects (7:22)
    "Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light." - John Milton - Paradise Lost
    "People that litter their online signatures with literary quotes are just pointlessly pretentious." - Me

Yeah I used birchwood casey aluminum black. It lets off some pretty heavy fumes and you definitely don't want it on your skin. I'd suggest maybe using paint and sanding it off.

That's a great suggestion. Now I'm wondering how one could do that with a powder coating?
    "It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward." - The White Queen - Through the Looking Glass
    "Wherever there are three people, there must be one that can be my teacher." - Confucius - Analects (7:22)
    "Long is the way, and hard, that out of hell leads up to light." - John Milton - Paradise Lost
    "People that litter their online signatures with literary quotes are just pointlessly pretentious." - Me

Jedi Knight
    Jedi Knight
    Zama City, Japan, Sol 3, Gould Belt, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster

excellent builds and very well weathered. i look forward to seeing more from you! ^_^

Doc B - try either drybrushing some thin paint on in a few areas and/or using some high grit sandpaper. in either order... scrapes and texturing from high-grit sandpaper can collect paint to give incredible detailing.
    CLICK HERE FOR ALL YOUR ECONO SOUND BOARD WIRING DIAGRAM NEEDS!

Duel - to fight someone 1 on 1. Dual - 2 of something in line with each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Multiple People
    To Azmaria listen you should...

I'm kind of wondering about a black wash, if one did not want to use sand paper on a powder coat.

Jedi Knight
    Jedi Knight
    Zama City, Japan, Sol 3, Gould Belt, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster

Quote Originally Posted by Doc B View Post
    I'm kind of wondering about a black wash, if one did not want to use sand paper on a powder coat.
    i have a couple paints like that that i've used on miniatures and figures. you need a lighter undercoat and some sort of detailing or texturing for it to settle in for maximum effect.
    CLICK HERE FOR ALL YOUR ECONO SOUND BOARD WIRING DIAGRAM NEEDS!

Duel - to fight someone 1 on 1. Dual - 2 of something in line with each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Multiple People
    To Azmaria listen you should...

Quote Originally Posted by Azmaria Dei View Post
    i have a couple paints like that that i've used on miniatures and figures. you need a lighter undercoat and some sort of detailing or texturing for it to settle in for maximum effect.
    Fellow geek, huh? Big shocker that I would find people on a lightsaber forum that have other geeky hobbies like miniature painting.

I was actually thinking about using a Citadel brand black wash; the same that I would use on my 40K minis. Jordandau, thanks for sparking the wheels of inspiration with your posting.

I also noticed that when I used a high grit (220) sandpaper it left a lot of paint powder behind. Spread that around and clear coating it would probably look nice too.